• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sheppard steering gear rebuild/reseal

rcamacho

Curious if anyone has attempted a rebuild/reseal. The box on my 1151 has excessive sector shaft play and leaks. Figure it’s worth a seal and sector shaft bearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DocBreckon

Curious if anyone has attempted a rebuild/reseal. The box on my 1151 has excessive sector shaft play and leaks. Figure it’s worth a seal and sector shaft bearing.

Hi. I am hoping you can help me out. I just bought a M1165 and it does not have a steering box. I looked up the TM for the part # and now I am trying to find the Numbers on the actual box so that I can call Sheppard tech. If possible, could you send me the M# on the side of the box? I will need to rebuild a used box myself after I find a box. I can share info that I find with you.. Could you text me or email me? Docbreckon@gmail.com or text 702-741-2968 I cant figure out how to PM on this forum. I have looked for 20 minutes but no luck. I hope Im not breaking the rules asking

rcamacho

Hi. I am hoping you can help me out. I just bought a M1165 and it does not have a steering box. I looked up the TM for the part # and now I am trying to find the Numbers on the actual box so that I can call Sheppard tech. If possible, could you send me the M# on the side of the box? I will need to rebuild a used box myself after I find a box. I can share info that I find with you.. Could you text me or email me? Docbreckon@gmail.com or text 702-741-2968 I cant figure out how to PM on this forum. I have looked for 20 minutes but no luck. I hope Im not breaking the rules asking
If you are sure you have an ECV/REV truck the Sheppard gears are available directly from AM General or the usual HMMWV suppliers. New expect to spend $1500-$2500 before tax and shipping.

rcamacho

Ordered this kit today. Sheppard also sells a seal kit through commercial truck suppliers. I spoke with the supplier today regarding coverage. This kit also covers the M83P2 gear.

I spoke with Sheppard and understand they do not sell hard parts such as bearings. They have a rebuild business and feel this would impact it.

Last edited:

DocBreckon

Thank you but that is not a Sheppard box but a saginaw box. I wish it was that easy... I need the Sheppard M83 box that is on the 2006 H1 Apha or the newer ECV with a 12K LBS chassis. I managed to track down bearings and the seals for a rebuild. Wish me luck.

rcamacho

Thank you but that is not a Sheppard box but a saginaw box. I wish it was that easy... I need the Sheppard M83 box that is on the 2006 H1 Apha or the newer ECV with a 12K LBS chassis. I managed to track down bearings and the seals for a rebuild. Wish me luck.
LMK where you found bearings…. Sheppard will not sell them to protect their rebuild business

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Old tread, but still where can you buy bearing?
If your bearing is like most others, there should be a number on the side of it.
Take it out and go to a bearing distributor company. They should be able to cross reference it or they may even have your part on the shelf. I use a company here in town and regularly buy bearings for a few dollars - compared to fifty bucks for the military version.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks