• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shift Shaft seal replacement on an A5 transaxle

Is there an easy way to replace the shift shaft seals on the High/Low shifter on an A5 transaxle without removing the cover?
Mine is leaking pretty bad.
If not, I might just keep changing the gear oil a little at a time. :)
Thanks!

Grega

I Just come in the house from changing these seals. I also changed the seals on the shifter rods. I ordered a tool from a certain auction site. Part # T-1001-J-26401 & J-26282 to help remove and replace the seals. Worked alright but had to chisel the inner seal with a small screwdriver on one of the shafts. Each shaft has 2 seals. The part # is 4938. Cheapest place to get was rock auto. The inner seal goes in with the lip facing in and the outer seal installs with the lip facing out. Coat the outer ring of the seal with brown rvt sealant. Make sure the shift shaft is all the way in. Hope this helps... Greg

Today must be the day shift shaft seal threads get answered. I have another thread started on a different forum and it was answered also. We don't have a rock auto here, but I think I have some part numbers from NAPA and O'Reily's. I guess I had better get the seals first and then get the old ones out.

On another note.

I was in a parade last night and I have a "feeling" my mule is not right. I think the motor might be making some type of "extra" noise. I can't really put my finger on it, but it just does not sound right. I might describe it best as an on again off again knock. Perhaps a compression test is in order. I am not looking forward to this.

Many - many years ago I used to race on the drag strip. Now, I don't even change my own oil! I suppose I have a compression gauge around here someplace. The good news is that the vehicles I was working on "back in the day" aren't much different than the mule - carbs, no computers, none of the "smog stuff". I'm just not real thrilled about crawling around under a vehicle getting grease under my finger nails again.

During the parade, I also noticed a "surge"(?), while I was driving. I had the tranny in Low First and the engine was doing not much more than an off idle. Even my wife, who was riding, noticed it. It seemed like the transmission or clutch was slipping, but I suspect it has more to do with the engine knock.

Fortunately, I use the mule in parades - and I don't think I have any of those in the near future, so perhaps I can spend some time wrenching on it.

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent.

I understand there are two different possibilities. National 340771 or NAPA 4938 The NAPA 4938 is supposed to be the metal one?
Thanks!

Hey, I just noticed your list of vehicles - Eeyore and Money Pit. We have been talking to each other on that "other" forum. :D
You have been great help there. Now, I have to review all of your posts here.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks