• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shifter stuck in 4th and 5th.

tjcouch

I can't get the gear shift to go anywhere but 5th, N 4th.

I was running fine and then just locked up.

Tranny was rebuilt a year ago, probably 400 miles have been put on it since.

Obviously I am calling first thing Monday the very qualified mechanic that rebuilt it, but does anyone know of a simple fix?

acetomatoco

Sure, take off the shift lever, take off the floor pan, take the top off the tranny and have a look... I would expect one of the rods in the cover is stuck or something simple like that...should take ya about 15 minutes.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
the deuce trans does not have lockouts between the shift rails so this can happen easily when the shifter parts are worn as most of them are. take the top off, move forks back to neutral, put cover back on and shift more carefully until you get new parts or a good used top cover.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
What is the tolerance for the top covers and is there a quick way to check the wear while sitting in the cab? If not once you take it off what do you look for any pictures would be great.

tjcouch

OK - so here is he rest of the story - it stopped working as my girlfriend was helping me shake out some stubborn dirt from a dump trailer. I forgot to tell her about the "1st after Reverse" rule.

Pulled the forks this AM, worked them loose and all is good now!

Thanks for the help!

FreightTrain

Banned
sprag trucks require you ALWAYS use 1st gear after reverse(or for safety sake,1st gear at take off).There is a goober sticking out on the trans that moves in and out from reverse to 1st and tells the front axle sprag if the truck is going forward or reverse.It is also really bad to let a truck roll backwards with the clutch pressed in if you are in a forward gear or was in a forward gear previously.Shifter must be in correct direction for any movement even if gravitational movement is to be achieved or you will hear a loud expensive POP.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks