• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Short notice Frankfort, KY 10-1-09

JCKnife

Hello all,

I'm brand-new here, referred from AR15.com member Gunwritr who bought a Deuce and a trailer last year and posted a thread and pics about it over there. The notion has caught my fancy and I'm planning on attending an auction preview in Frankfort, KY on 10-1 (there is a second one on 10-6 I believe).

If anyone who knows their way around a Deuce would have time to go with me, I'd happily buy you lunch, kick in some gas money, whatever it takes.

I hope I'm not out of line even asking--I browsed a couple threads in this forum and it looks like the thing to do!

Thanks so much!

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
JC, if I were closer I would happily go with you, I'm always up for looking at some OD Iron. Hopefully someone will step up and be available to help you out. It's good that you are going to look at them and ask questions before buying one. May I also suggest reading the deuce wiki article in the deuce section of the forum. Also download and read the TM 9-2320-361-10 tech manual from the resourced section at the top of your screen.

JCKnife

Here's a dumb question: what do I look for to see if the truck has a heater or not? I understand that few of them do.

JCKnife

There are over 60 trucks in this auction and most of them do not have pics posted with them. I'll just have to look at each one.

nhdiesel

A big box on the inside of the driver's fender, right on top. Here are a couple pics to help you:

HEATER
17461963.jpg

NO HEATER:
17664359.jpg

You can also see in some cab shots if it has one:

17461931.jpg

Also look for a big dryer vent hose under the driver's side of the dash.

Jim

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A real quick way to see if the pictures aren't very good or if you are just doing a "walk by" would be to look at the "Air Scoop" on the drivers fender to bring fresh air into the heater.

The first pic has no "scoop"...No Heater Installed.

Second pic has the "scoop"...Heater Installed.

They may not all be like this, but that "scoop" is part if the heater kit, so if it's got a coolant heater, it probably has the "scoop".

Attachments

nhdiesel

Use the scoop as just a general guide. I've seen lots with the scoop but no heater, and lots with a heater and no scoop. But generally, it should have a heater if it has a scoop.

Jim

JCKnife

I thought about joining arfcom but the insanity of the GD section scared me away.
Yes, GD can be a three-ring circus (or worse). However, the technical forums are well-moderated and just so full of excellent gun knowledge. It's a great resource. Also the benefit of GD is that at any given time you've got 1,500 to 5,000 or more members online. With such large numbers online, you can find an expert in almost any field quickly, from chainsaws to plumbers to astronomy. You just have to put up with some dumb BS to get to the experts sometimes, which is okay.

Thanks everyone for the heater help! Can't wait to go see these trucks!

JCKnife

Hey, good news: a customer of mine (metal roofing) in Frankfort is going to go along with me. I know he's made a living buying and selling heavy equipment in the past, and he told me he's owned a couple of Deuce's. Might have brought on a little competition for myself in the bidding, but with over 60 trucks at auction I think I'll be fine.

nhdiesel

I wish I could afford another, I could tow it home behind the one waiting for me at Knox. Hell, maybe 5 or 6 more.... :twisted:

Jim

number9

So how did the trucks look overall? I am very close to Frankfort and have had the Deuce bug for a while and getting one this close would mean saving fuel and a couple days of going to haul one home somewhere.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks