• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Should I clean my fuel tank - how should I do it?

houdel

My Deuce was rebuilt at Tooele in 1989. I'd expect that the fuel tank was cleaned during the rebuild, and I'd be very surprised if it has been cleaned since. Do you think I should clean it, and if so, what is a good DIY to do it.?

I realize I could pull the tank off and have it steam cleaned, but that sounds like a lot of work. I'd rather try to clean it on the truck. My thought was to drain and siphon out all the fuel I can, pull out the inlet strainer, fuel pump and possibly the fuel sender, and then use a pump-up garden insecticide sprayer and about 5 gallons of methanol to spray down an much of the interior of the tank as I can reach. I'd probably have to add a piece of vinyl tubing as an extension to reach past the baffles to clean the ends of the tank. When done I'd drain and siphon out the methanol (and save for cleaning other stuff) and refill the tank with fresh diesel.

What do you think? Is cleaning my fuel tank worthwhile? Would my idea for cleaning it work, or does someone have a better idea?

Thanks, Lee

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check your primary fuel filter for dirt. If it's clean, I wouldn't worry about cleaning the tank.
BTW, it's very difficult to get past the baffles for any kind of cleaning.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Take it off and take it to a radiator shop-they can boil itout and reseal it-I just had the one for my '65 Belvdere done. $100

houdel

Dr. Foster - I wanted to try your idea but my wife put her foot down. Mind if I use your dishwasher? I think mine might be just a tad too small anyhow! -- Lee

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks