• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Should I retard my timing with the turbo?

Banshee365

Too late for that question because I already have. But I'm thinking about putting it back to 25 degrees after talking with a few people. The radiator is going back in soon and I want to have it right the first time. It's at 20 now and it would only take me 20 minutes to change back.

I do mostly an hour or so of driving at a time with the bed empty. I want to be able to haul loads at some point and make road trips that are safe for the engine. What setting should I put it at? Maybe in between, like 23 degree's? Why was 25 degrees not the best setting for the LDT too. Radiator is going in tonight probably. Thanks guys.

-Kelly

Banshee365

I think I found a happy median. After several suggestions to leave it where it was I advanced it almost back to 25, I think I'm around 24 now or so depending on the angle you look at the harmonic balancer.

Now all I need is the new thermostat and I can get the thing back together.

-Kelly

Attachments

Banshee365

Installing a pyro is definetly on the to-do list. I drilled and tapped 2 ports for probes on the manifold while the turbo and all was off during the turbo convsersion and plugged them up with anti-sieze and pipe plugs. When I get the pyro installed I'll inform some results.

-Kelly

FreightTrain

Banned
The Reason for changing the timing is to stop detonation.With the extra air the pressures in the cylinders are MUCH higher and the fuel will fire off earlier.If it fires too early it will actually hammer the piston until either the top ring breaks or the wrist pin starts wollerin out the hole.I turned mine back cause I want all the life out of my engine that I can get.Advancing the timing will give you more power but a candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long.