• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shout out to Gunzy

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gunzy did a huge favor and flat towed red's deuce to my place for easier working on and since the M816 wrecker is so close having a functional crane, but so far from road worthy - work can still continue on both trucks.

His beautiful M925 looked like Santa's sleigh loping down the street, delivering a very large present!

https://youtu.be/IxuxFyuzUJA

Thanks Gunzy, you're pretty much The Man!

Rmtaunton

Looks great and may I ask how it towed , tried to pull mine last weekend and tires on deuce just really wanted to turn opposite direction and I unhooked before thinking about adding air to front tires as they only have about 25 lbs in them and are also 395's

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wasn't with them during the tow trip but it followed very well. They had the steering wheel tied off (so it couldn't do as you described) but it caused towing issues. They did have 1 instance through a big dip where the tires just turned to one side and scrubbed the edge tread. I wonder if adding caster adjustment would help it follow better.

Last edited:

Gunzy

It wasn't too bad. With the steering wheel tied off it broke a bolt on the shackle/towbar mounts so we chose to untie the wheel and see what it would do. As Valence said we only had one instance of the wheels turning the wrong direction and that was going through a dip at a right turn. Dan then got in to assist in turning for a block and it tracked fine the rest of the way. Going over Trappers Loop road was slow (10-15 mph) as it is a 7% grade. Otherwise I ran at 35 to 45 mph. Slow and steady is the best way, no need for 55 mph speeds when towing a load of 13K without brakes.

bonedoc

Good to know. I just recently picked up a tow bar and was curious how they tow? If you need to keep someone in the drivers seat, etc? I have 395s on mine as well and it has the caster adjustment done on it. My truck when driving normally the steering wheel wants to return to center.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good to know. I just recently picked up a tow bar and was curious how they tow? If you need to keep someone in the drivers seat, etc? I have 395s on mine as well and it has the caster adjustment done on it. My truck when driving normally the steering wheel wants to return to center.
Towed truck is driverless. Steering wheel is unlocked and untied. It should follow you like a persistent tailgater.

I've flat towed everything from cucv to an m934 in the past year or so, probably 7000 miles....

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just watched the video. I proclaim it a success - nobody was injured and no equipment was damaged. If i didn't say so loudly enough before - kudos to Gunzy! Greg is a good guy.

I do have a comment - I strongly advocate the use of safety chains, crossed under the towbar. By crossing them under the towbar , they'll catch it if it comes out of the pintle and prevent it from digging into the pavement. By having them crossed, the towed vehicle will continue to track behind you allowing you to control where it goes. Granted, if it comes loose it will hit the rear of your truck and cause damage. At that point, without a Johnson bar and delicate control, the towed vehicle hitting the towing vehicle is about the best you're going to do. Far better that than having it go into oncoming traffic.

My priorities are as follows:

1) prevent injury to others
2) prevent injury to me
3) prevent damage to others' equipment
4) prevent damage to my equipment.

Attachments

Last edited:

Gunzy

Yes, I need to invest in chains, and NOT the Harbor Freight ones. That is one of the reasons for "Slow and Steady." My plans do include purchasing chains in the future. Fortunately I rarely tow with my 5 ton. How long and what grade chains are you using?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, I need to invest in chains, and NOT the Harbor Freight ones. That is one of the reasons for "Slow and Steady." My plans do include purchasing chains in the future. Fortunately I rarely tow with my 5 ton. How long and what grade chains are you using?
Pictured is grade 70 tow chain, not sure of the length.

Since then I've upgraded to grade 100 5/8" hemtt chains @ 16'.

I thought I remembered you buying some from me? Your buddy may have a couple extra - he just wiped me out of them...

MtnSnow

Yep I now have two for each of my trucks Gunzy, so we are in good shape going forward :)

Thanks again 98G for the chains and other goodies :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks