• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Show your 5 tons in the snow.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
looks like no tire chains on grader? tsk tsk. tsk. :rolleyes: .. i went out sanding on ice decades ago with dual chains on the back but it was also the one time i didn't chain at least one of the steer tires.. Darn near got fired for it

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And they tried to blame me for them getting stuck saying I was too close on the other side. No numb nuts you tried to plow a drift without AWD and no chains, you didn’t plow it for 4 days and let it build up as high as it is and you didn’t give it any speed.
...and some people laugh because I run tire chains 100% of the time on my plow trucks on a long private road and off-road acreage that has to be kept open .. 50% of the time I have to be into places where the chains sure do their job .. Funny how I am the one they call whenever they get their plow hung up high in a bank or the whole side of their vehicle stuffed into a roadside snowbank.. On a different note, one of my M818's had the honor of recovering someones large farm tractor/loader that went thru pond ice while skidding logs, deep enough where the engine sucked water , all during a 3ft snowstorm of all things.. They called the only commercial rotator-wrecker in the county only to find out it wouldn't go off-road nor did it have enough line to reach it.. It would be years until I obtained a M62, ,, thus tag, the M818 was it.. And yes, I grabbed the one that had a heater. :LOL: ( a lot of good it did, hardly kept the windows de-iced, as usual) .. Cardboarded the radiator which got it warmed up while putting the spare set of chains on it, but of course the minute I got rolling good, all the heat was gone out of the cab :rolleyes: .. Just like the army days, IF we were lucky enough to be given the logbook/key to a truck having a heater.. They were very few and far between in the units i was in, especially the one continually doing winter training for west german deployment.. They say I was a cold war veteran. Darn straight. We were fighting the cold all the time, and we usually lost !!

Last edited: