• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Side exit exhaust

CUMMINS

I am looking at a 1970 m35a2 with a LD-465, the truck doesn't have a stack, its exhaust goes to a muffler under the cab and exits between the rear duals, I haven't seen a truck like this, and was wondering if it was common and why doesn't it have a stack

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That's odd, I was under the impression that rear exhaust on a diesel meant an LD-427.....the earlier mutlifuel (M35A1?).

ida34

One of our trucks in the army had the side exhaust. It was an m35a2 but I don't think it was turbo. I think all the turbo's had the stack exhaust with no muffler to reduce exhaust temps and save the turbo.

Adamlee

side exhaust...benefits

Side exhausts do have the added benefit of being a helluva lot quieter, for those of us with non-turbo LD 465's......which is one of the reasons I was going to acquire or make up a side exhaust for my truck at some point. Plus, I wasn't planning on any deep water fording treks like Bjorn's... :)

Also, for those of us interested in being "period correct" for Vietnam-era reenactments/displays, the side exhaust was the norm.

Adamlee

side exhaust...benefits

I believe one of the two M35's we drove to Rolling Thunder at the Pentagon last year or the year prior were side exhaust late 60's/early 70's LD 465 non-turbo'ed.

They are quieter......

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
some of the tractors had side pipes, with the pipe exiting in front of the front rear axle, this setup was for pulling fuel tankers, though in nam nobody cared where the exhust exited

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My '68 M49A2C (fuel tanker) had vertical exhaust. Water tankers use a diverter valve to
let exhaust heat keep the water from freezing. Those trucks may have the side exhaust
to simplify the plumbing...don't know.

67Beast

I have a buddy who has a 67' M35a2 with the LD-465 non turbo and it has side exhuast on it. His also has the older style mirrors on it where my 67' has the LDT-465D with stack and the west coast mirrors. I guess it all depends on where and when they were rebuilt at.

TheSHAD0W

Is there a potential problem w/ overheating the turbo by adding a muffler? I was planning on moving the exhaust stack behind the cab w/ a muffler under the frame on my deuce...

rmgill

Add a flow through muffler. It has no restriction, but a baffling area like a gun suppressor, works pretty well as it still slows down the sound waves coming down the pipe.

eddiec

the exhaust stack was a later adaption. it was called (clean air exhaust). it was put into efect mainly for the benifit of ground troops, with the thought that the smoke and fumes would be above them, instead of being breathed in.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks