• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Singled out fat spare to fat to fit nest

Hoefler

I went with the 14.00 tires for my 923. When I went to slide the spare into the nest, she would not fit. The sidewalls of tire are to fat to sneak between the intake air pipe and leading edge of bed. If the intake air pipe was moved, it would fit. If the bed was pushed back, maybe 1 inch-she would fit.
What have others done? What is the set up on the later trucks with singles?
I realize that the davit arm will need to be beefed up to cover the weight.
Thanks in advance.
Pete

Hoefler

Mike,
First-sorry to learn of the loss of your brother in law.
One the solution-its clever and a great idea. I think I will do something like this but get the tire into the nest. It seems that there is enough space between cab and bed-its just to tight getting past air intake piping. If I can get my davit up high, I could clear the pipe and drop in from the top.
Your solution is a good one.
Pete

goldneagle

nopics

Much easier to make suggestions if we can see the actual problem... There are wider tire carrier components available for the super single spares. I saw them on some of the M931 with super singles. Jeff Davis should have some of the wider ones if you need to replace.

Hoefler

The sketch shows a plan view of this. If the tire can get past the pinch point it will fit. I am really curious as to how others with factory fattys have theirs arranged. Wondering if the intake snorkel is different.
Pete

Attachments

KsM715

Did your truck have 11.00's and now you have 14's? As stated above the later trucks with 14's have a wider spare tire rack. Because of the wider tires I bet the bed on the trucks with 14's is slid back some. Also You might check to see how wide your spare tire rack is. There should be 2 pieces of steel braces set at an angle that the tire slides between.

This pic is from a 900 with the 11's on it. ( I got it from Glen to put on my M818 but found out 14's will not fit that rack and went back to Glen and traded for one off a truck with the 14's

Attachments

Hoefler

Jeff,
Thanks for the picture. I see that angle brace in the picture and will check to see how mine is spaced. I had the 11's and now have the 14's on combat rims. I bet the bed is simply a little further back on the trucks with larger tires. It looks like 1" to 1 1/2" would do-maybe just slot the holes in the bed. Before that, I am going to try dropping the tire in from the top with a forklift (provided it can lift this high). If she drops in, I think it may be easier to modify the mast on the davit-allow it to go up high enough-maybe 2 extra feet to allow the tire to clear the bed outside framing. Once clear, it would extend out just like original. The mast would drop down for driving. Needs to be full beef up anyway to handle the weight of the spare-its heavy-very heavy.
Pete

KsM715

If you were closer I would make you a good deal on the whole 14.00 davit crane and spare tire assembly. But that stuff is HEAVY and would cost an arm and a leg to ship.

(I'll get some pics tomorrow to show the differences in the 2. I think the 14 set up is 3 inches wider)

Edit* Yep, the 11.00 rack is 12 inches and the 14.00 is 15inches wide. The braces and davit crane arm are considerably bigger too.

Attachments

Last edited:

Csm Davis

I use the setup for the 11.00 for 14.00 but a 16.00 will not fit. Cut the wings on the carrier part off and you can hammer or cut off and remake the wings on the outside holder. I think the crane is strong enough, never bent one and like to make mine rotate for other lifting. I would look at moving the intake enough to roll the tire in not sure how the military overcame this but doubt they moved the bed. Maybe someone who has a a2 will chime in and shed some light on this.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks