• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Slave receptical any one?

amanco

Any one installed a slave receptical on an M37? I removed the cover plate and pulled a rat's nest out. The rubber gromet is installed for the wires to go thru on the other side. My receptical I bought will need some jerry rigging, I don't think it was ontended to go on the M37, maybe an M38A1 or some thing. Hot wire is too short and the ground doesn't reach the running board mount like the TM says. I am just going to extend them with some battery cables. Or should I find the right one with the correct cables?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make your own cables - get some wire stock at Lowe's and cut to the length you need. Use brass end crimps, and you're good to go!

Jones

2-0 welding lead makes excellent battery cable; and terminals are available at battery shops and welding supply houses. It would be better to make new cables as high amperage leads don't like to be spliced.
Pull back the boot and you should see a retaining ring that holds the inner rubber sleeve in place. Once the sleeve is out of the housing, the cables with their terminal ends will pull out of the rubber. From there it's just a matter of drilling out the center of the old cable and getting all of the strands out, opening up the terminal with a drift punch with a rounded end, inserting and crimping or soldering the new cable in. Reassemble, install and cut and crimp terminal the ends as long as they need to be.

acetomatoco

On the M37 the leads are really long due to the plug being on the left and the batteries on the right... taking the plug and leads to the local good parts store they should be able to crimp on identical wire and terminals to the right length and put shrink tube on the joints.. .then you should be OK.. the originals are few and far between and you should let your seller know about the problem..

amanco

I think I have found a seller who has what I need. The one he sells has a hot wire that is 50" and ground 35". The TM says the hot lead bolts on to the hot post of the starter switch, not to the battery. (remember, it is a foot pedal start) I will let the other seller know though that this receptical is not correct for the M37.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I found that my local truck suppy store sold me fine strand wire a lot cheaper than the Electic Supply dealer or the local welding store would, just a suggestion for source of supply

MilitaryRestoration

Amanco-We just got putting ours on the M37 and thats how we did it as well..."Hooking up the hot wire to the starter hot" Works great and as for the lengths...as was short as well but we just sweat'd new connections and cables on and haven't had problems with it one bit. So either route will work just all what you want. Good Luck and send some pics. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks