• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sleeves for Cat 3116

unispeed

I noticed alot of members are down on the 3116 and one main reason is that they are not sleevable?
Since I think I might be headed for a overhaul i found this and thought I would post for some carification
Caterpillar 3116 Engine Rebuild Kit (IPD One Piece Piston)
is Engine Kit contains one piece aluminum pistons. Oversize pistons are not available for this application. Please refer to Caterpillar Service Bulletin SEBF8261 for the recommended procedures on installing cylinder salvage sleeves. The part number for the salvage repair sleeve is 7C6208.
This Engine Kit contains one piece aluminum pistons. Oversize pistons are not available for this application. Please refer to Caterpillar Service Bulletin SEBF8261 for the recommended procedures on installing cylinder salvage sleeves. The part number for the salvage repair sleeve is 7C6208.

http://www.mellingcylindersleeves.c...cleId/113/New-Sleeve-for-CAT-3116-Engine.aspx

Attachments

AceHigh

Apparently this is a great alternative for worn out engines. I found this thread about sleeves:

hello thread.we at va diesel install these sleeves on every 3116/3126 cat engine we build. this is the only way to repair these blocks. Cat does not offer over size pistons, they are available thru limited engine builders including us at .020 but its a preferance the cylinder walls on most engines are wore more than that.the next thing if you have a machine shop install these sleeves be sure to ask if they have a torque plate.if they do not be carefull because the head bolts are torqued to 300 ft lbs and if plate is not used it will burn oil if i can help call 434 660 6654

-------------------------
Doug Jacobs
Virginia Diesel, Inc
1435 Tucker Terrace
Evington, VA 24550
434-660-6654
(540) 297-5800 Fax

<< hello thread.we at va diesel install these sleeves on every 3116/3126 cat engine we build. this is the only way to repair these blocks. Cat does not offer over size pistons, they are available thru limited engine builders including us at .020 but its a preferance the cylinder walls on most engines are wore more than that.the next thing if you have a machine shop install these sleeves be sure to ask if they have a torque plate.if they do not be carefull because the head bolts are torqued to 300 ft lbs and if plate is not used it will burn oil if i can help call 434 660 6654 >>

Can you exsplain torque plate. It that a plate that is torqued down instead of a head when boring is done? It so i understand that. sure. a torque plate is kind of a thick head gasket it has all the holes like a gasket but is made of cold roll steal that is 2.250 inches thick it cost from cat 986.00 us dollars plus shipplng. you can go to any machine shop and they all will have small torque plates for a small block chevy. but there so pricey very few youll find a shop has them for cats.what happens is the head bolt are torqued to 300ft lbs or 100 ft lbs and 90 degrees this causes the block to twist slightley so the torque plate pretends to be the head, and has the block in its position so when honed it will have that twist as if it had the head on it so if plate is not used it will smoke and use oil if you send your e mail ill send you a picture ok god bless doug
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-modification-hot-rodding/77786-sleeves-cat-3116-a.html

Last edited:

gavan

I think you are looking at the wrong kind of sleeve.

That sleeve you bore out the block, press in the sleeve, then machine the sleeve. This is a "dry sleeve" and needs to be done in a machine shop.

What people complain about with the 3116 is it is not a "wet sleeve". In a "wet sleeve" motor you can take the entire sleeve out of the block, pop in a new sleeve, and a new piston, and be done. No machining, no need to even pull the block if you do not want to.

"bigger" industrial/truck motors are classically "wet sleeve" for ease of rebuild. Slinging a 1,400 pound 3116 around the shop is bad enough, much less wrestling it into a machine for machine work. Something like a C15 weighs 3090 pounds! Much easier to deal with it when it is in the truck.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A salvage sleeve can be put in in chassis if there is enough room over the top of the engine for the boring bar to be installed. It is done all the time. Usually the only reason this needs to be done is from a piston that comes apart and damages the wall or dirt ingestion. If you are gonna overhaul it, push the pistons out and cive the cylinder a pass or two with a bar hone. That'll tell you if it's worn too much by where it doesn't hit the wall. Mic it though, there are reuse guidelines for taper and diameter. You'd be surprised on what those limits are.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks