• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Slings

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
So I just got an inch and a quarter thick wire rope sling thats ten foot long for 50.00! I have alot of 5/8 wire rope that I'm thinking about using with the crane. What is everyone else using? What are some good sources for rigging supplys? I know some people use only chain. Any reason? Now that things on the wrecker are getting fixed, I guess its time to accessorize. :twisted:

papercu

slings

Well it depend on what you are picking up, for myself most times anything I find first is used. I like to use nylon straps and clevis with a screw in pin when I can find it from the last time I used it. Wayne

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: slings

I have used chains a lot. Like them because they are infinitley adjustable lengthwise.
6 ft straps, chains and load binders are always carried along on the "cranetruck".
The 3-point sling shown in the cab lift thread has been very useful, which came from Wayne Harris BTW.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I don't have much wire rope but do use strap and chain often. Strap much more often than chain.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

I got a hold of an old boat lift sling that is heavy and wide and is a great way to pick up anything I can with a front mounted winch. The Army currently uses big nylon rope slings that are about 6 feet long and have big eyes in them.

nickd

I have chain, wire rope and nylon slings around. I would rather use a used, rusty chain over a used nylon sling or wire rope for lifting or pulling. The slings stretch and snap like a broken rubbe rband when they fail. When the wire rope fials its not pleasant either. My experience with chain failures have been less dramatic.

acetomatoco

Get the rigging tm and use whatever method seems appropriate.. About the only use for cable around me is the lifting media. aka winch or crane... I use chains and slings for everything else... I have a two part chain sling rated for lifting..go talk to a rigger running a big crane at a construction site and get the safe poop. Wear gloves anytime you handle a cable ...those little puncture wounds never heal...

5tonpuller

I use both strap and chain. Just make sure that you do NOT over load the item used.
They ALL have there limit and when you go over that use, you are on GODS time. All you have to do is see ether fail and then you really watch the load ratings of them. Straps can leave a nasty black n blue mark or brake a bone. Cable can cut you in half. Chain will do both. Not to watch what ever you was picking up crashing to the ground. All you have to do is see ether once !!
My $0.05 worth
Matt

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks