• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sm465 swap questions

Chuckanut

I’m going to be swapping in a sm465 in place of my th400 and I’m wondering, do I need to shorten the front drive a shaft at all?

do I need to relocate the transmission crossmember?

i still have the 24v starter do I need to modify the hydraulic bell housing to have the 24v starter fit? I e been told it doesn’t quite fit.

the truck is stock hight, thanks guys

LT67

I would recommend sticking with the turbo 400. The ole 6.2 diesel ain't gonna like that 1st to 2nd gear change....

87cr250r

I don't see why it wouldn't. Just don't short shift it.

Otherwise I agree, the TH400 with it's tall first is a good compliment to the 4.56 gears.

Are the 24 volt starters different? I thought they had the same noses. There should be no fitment issues.

LT67

I have the SM465 in my 79' K20 with a 406sbc. If I'm towing my tractor, I have to wind it up to 3500-4000rpm in 1st and 2nd gear to get it going. If it's normal driving I shift at 2500-3000 rpm. I wouldn't recommend that with the 6.2 diesel

*the turbo 400 and 4:56 gears in the CUCV trucks is a good combo

nyoffroad

What year is the doner truck? Reason I ask is GM did a P/N change between 84 and 85 on flywheels. I ran into this on one of my trucks when I installed a SM465, I tried using an 84 starter with a 85 flywheel and had a grinding problem.
Can't help with the drive shaft lengths as I also went with an OD unit.
The doner truck I used came with a 6.2 2 wheel drive and SM tranny and 4:10 gears, it spent it's life hauling a 2 horse trailer around and did it well, no it wasn't a fast truck but it did it.

Firehound

I have converted 2 suburbans with stock 6.2's to manuals with the NV4500. I also have a K20 pickup that came from the factory with an SM465. My 2 cents: You MUST use the stock pedal assembly, or at least fab up an equivalent. Trust me... I was some 3500' up in the foothills of Mt. Rainier on a SAR case when my pedal went through the firewall!!

The 2nd suburban was a stock 1/2ton 4x4, and I had to remove the front driveshaft until I rolled in the 3/4 ton 4" lift running gear. My stock K20 has no issues.

Side note: Said K20 is getting the motor out of an old CUCV. I'm really thinking about dropping and dragging the NV4500 into it. (that sweet, sweet OD! she'll do 75 all day, and at 65, she can get 18mpg!)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks