• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Small Cam 290 injector number?

hethead

Like many, I'm tuning my 250 up a little. I've built lots of motors but not a large diesel before, so most of my knowledge is only from reading. I also know many active people on this forum have hands on experience with small and big cam Cummins.

All I've done so far is a straight pipe and increased my rail pressure and I'm pretty happy with the power and EG temps. I'm just shooting for a sturdy 300hp, so I'll be adding a turbo, intercooler and piston coolers to keep it hard to hurt. I've done a lot of machining and fab work so I'm pretty confident I can do the piston coolers (but that has yet to be seen!).

What I would like to do is keep the increased fuel volume but lower the rail pressure and make life easier on the cam. So I'd like to fit a set of whatever injectors came on the 290's. (bigger holes, easier to squirt fuel through, easier for the cam to squeeze).

I've looked but I can't find a part number to order any. My thinking is that a remanufactured set of those would be easier and maybe cheaper to replace on the road than a set of custom flowed ones. I'm picturing a lot of them on shelves in dusty boxes from the days when half the trucks on the road had an 855....

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Like many, I'm tuning my 250 up a little. I've built lots of motors but not a large diesel before, so most of my knowledge is only from reading. I also know many active people on this forum have hands on experience with small and big cam Cummins.

All I've done so far is a straight pipe and increased my rail pressure and I'm pretty happy with the power and EG temps. I'm just shooting for a sturdy 300hp, so I'll be adding a turbo, intercooler and piston coolers to keep it hard to hurt. I've done a lot of machining and fab work so I'm pretty confident I can do the piston coolers (but that has yet to be seen!).

What I would like to do is keep the increased fuel volume but lower the rail pressure and make life easier on the cam. So I'd like to fit a set of whatever injectors came on the 290's. (bigger holes, easier to squirt fuel through, easier for the cam to squeeze).

I've looked but I can't find a part number to order any. My thinking is that a remanufactured set of those would be easier and maybe cheaper to replace on the road than a set of custom flowed ones. I'm picturing a lot of them on shelves in dusty boxes from the days when half the trucks on the road had an 855....
are they top stops or non top stops?

hethead

are they top stops or non top stops?
I don't know. I assumed the NHC250's came with non top stops, but your question makes me think I was wrong to assume that. I believe it's original with 30,000 miles on it (and 1,000 hours) but I haven't had them out yet. I'll be pulling a 30k trailer for personal use, so not working too hard but also not just a parade toy either.

Truck is a '71 M820. If the 250's in them came with both top stop and non top step, I guess I'd need to start there...

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I don't know. I assumed the NHC250's came with non top stops, but your question makes me think I was wrong to assume that. I believe it's original with 30,000 miles on it (and 1,000 hours) but I haven't had them out yet. I'll be pulling a 30k trailer for personal use, so not working too hard but also not just a parade toy either.

Truck is a '71 M820. If the 250's in them came with both top stop and non top step, I guess I'd need to start there...
The small cams can come with either.

What is the ESN or CPL?

hethead

I have the truck parked up North, so I can't take a look. If I win the auction for a log trailer this Thursday, I'll be up there next week, using it to tow it home. I'll get the CPL then. I probably should have written it down by now. I appreciate your help. All I know about it is it had a #45 button in it. Not too much to go on!

hethead

How are you gonna add piston cooling nozzles....asking for a friend
Pressure lines would be external. I'd drop the pan and drill the holes into the block from the outside. I'd have a plastic vacuum nozzle cut at a 45 with a hole in it that the bit goes through., up against the block. So I'm drilling in a vacuum. When the bit breaks through, the majority of the metal is sucked out. Then thread it, etc. That's the plan anyway... If I don't feel confident, I'll just not do it. But I'd like to have them if I can.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks