• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Smoke Grenade Gauge Pod

njjeeper

So I have been looking for a way to mount the pyro in my M109 for a while. I have seen a lot of custom enclosures and some of them are really nice but I wanted something different. So, I started looking around for military items that were similar size to the gauge. Enter the M83 Smoke grenade. It checked all the boxes. Cheap to acquire, military, cool looking(different smoke colors on the cans for variety!) and it was the perfect size in diameter for the pyro. Here are pics of the first pass. Lots of stuff I want to clean up in my second attempt so I used the plain white grenade assuming i would mess this one up.

Anyway, I figured I would share since I have gotten so many good ideas from this site.

TJ

Attachments

FloridaAKM

Great idea. Did you use a fired smoke grenade or clean one out? The ones I have dealt with that are fired, corrode badly due to the chemicals used to make the smoke. Hope you patented your idea before releasing it to us.

njjeeper

Lol, no patent :) I am sure this group will improve the idea!

I used fired ones. Once I cut the bottom hole I cleaned out all the residue. It seems like it burned straight down the center with a burn track about 1/2 inch wide. The rest of the inside was hard burnt crust that smelled like fireworks. Comes out pretty easy!

JimmyThompson

My Google-Fu suggests it's used to measure temperature from 0-2000 degrees. Not really sure what gets that hot on a Deuce. I'm not being critical... Just trying to figure out what I'd use one for? I think it looks cool!

jdknech

My Google-Fu suggests it's used to measure temperature from 0-2000 degrees. Not really sure what gets that hot on a Deuce. I'm not being critical... Just trying to figure out what I'd use one for? I think it looks cool!
on a STOCK deuce, it is not really needed, but if you turn up the IP at all, a pyro is a must have! that way you can keep a eye on the exhaust temps, and not burn a valve, or worse- melt down a engine.. 1100-1200 is the MAX temp you want to let it get to.. and dont let it stay there long..

rustystud

A pyrometer measures any temperature not just to 2000 degrees. At 1200 degrees aluminum starts to melt . Pistons are made of aluminum.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a neat idea, wasn't planning to install an EGT (exhaust gas temp) gauge due to the stock configuration, but the smoke grenade bezal makes it look like it belongs in the truck.

Triple C

To JimmyThompson, a pyrometer is pretty standard equipment on most big trucks. The idea being that in a long hard pull, one can overheat the motor before the water temp cries foul. Most turbo equipped motors use them because turbo raises in the incoming air significantly and the increased ability to add fuel (because of the increase in air) allows for lots more heat to be generated. If you are on a long pull and watch your pyro increasing, drop a gear or grab a gear which ever is required, just don't exceed the motor's temp parameter or as another post stated - aluminum melts and it can get ugly in a hurry. Hope that helps.

njjeeper

I have gotten a few questions on where I got the grenades. I searched ebay and the forums and found mostly over priced burnt up ones without pins and spoons. The best source I found was a guy at Aberdeen this year. He had a lot of them in great condition that were in the original paper cylinders. If that guy is a member here perhaps he can post :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks