• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Smoking a battery

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All- I am having trouble with my truck smoking one of my batteries.

Brand new type 31s, when fully charged, (brand new) no issues. Both times I've driven the truck when I shut down, when I go to start, my inner battery is toast (digital charger reads ERROR and my mechanical charger shows a dead short). I'm hooking them up in series "-" "+" dog bone "-" "+".

I don't think I'm hooked up wrong, but im at a loss.

All connections are tight before I try to start. Any ideas?20210219_103050.jpg

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, this is the second time it happened and I don't know if my battery guy will warranty it... 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
What do you mean inner battery?

Which one is dead. One with the positive lug to the truck or the negative lug to the truck?

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is your alternator overcharging? Remember that failure mode I mentioned in your diagnostics thread. Could be cooking your battery if you didn't notice the volt meter pegged out.
Checking the meter as I drive. It stays in the green. I also scan all the other gauges as I drive.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What does your meter say when hooked to the batteries while driving?

Don't trust unknown gauges. That gauge reads power at the dash gauges. Not the battery.
It shows "Green", but I also put a multimeter on it whilst I was idling and it showed ~27 volts.

That was with all lights on for full power draw.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
At my buddies shop and installed a heavy equipment battery shut off. While installing and testing, found my voltage draw also. My "Battery On/Off" switch stays in the closed position, so my power was never shut off. When it warms up gonna permanently mount the shut off and maybe pull the battery switch and see if I can rebuild it.

We also found some iffy corroded connectors on the main wires and replaced them too. I'm bringing an extra battery home "just in case" (it's a good "gimme" from his shop).

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
It shows "Green", but I also put a multimeter on it whilst I was idling and it showed ~27 volts.

That was with all lights on for full power draw.
I was referring to a multi meter. What do you have hooked to to negative side of that battery besides the jumper to the other battery?

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was referring to a multi meter. What do you have hooked to to negative side of that battery besides the jumper to the other battery?
By "that battery" I'm assuming you mean at the dogbone. There is nothing but the doggone attached.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks