• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Snatch block sizes

Gypsyman

Kicking this one back up to the top rather than start another one.

I'm trying to find information on the Warn 83086 (civilian replacement for the 78387) shown earlier in this thread. Is the sheave on this block for 1/2" WR or something larger? I've been told everything from 1/2" to 3/4" by various sources.

I spoke with Warn customer service repeatedly and got nowhere. Amazing to me that the customer service department of a WINCH company can't tell you what size wire rope their snatch blocks are designed to accept. I did finally get a gentleman on the line who helped a bit but still no solid numbers. He actually read me information from eBay listings about his own product.

On another note. How did Warn sell the 78387 to the government when the castings are clearly the same made in China version that they now sell as the 83086? Do these items not fall under the Berry Amendment?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kicking this one back up to the top rather than start another one.

I'm trying to find information on the Warn 83086 (civilian replacement for the 78387) shown earlier in this thread. Is the sheave on this block for 1/2" WR or something larger? I've been told everything from 1/2" to 3/4" by various sources.

I spoke with Warn customer service repeatedly and got nowhere. Amazing to me that the customer service department of a WINCH company can't tell you what size wire rope their snatch blocks are designed to accept. I did finally get a gentleman on the line who helped a bit but still no solid numbers. He actually read me information from eBay listings about his own product.

On another note. How did Warn sell the 78387 to the government when the castings are clearly the same made in China version that they now sell as the 83086? Do these items not fall under the Berry Amendment?
I thought the Berry Amendment mostly only covered fabric/fiber items? https://otexa.trade.gov/Berry_Amendment/covered_items.htm

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I didn't know. That's why I was asking. Thanks for the link.
There is another piece of government paper that DOES specify American Made tied to things like steel and vehicles and small arms.

The Buy American Act (BAA) of 1933

It requires the federal government to buy American–made iron, steel, and manufactured goods wherever possible. According to the act, a product is defined as American–made “if at least 50 percent of its constituent parts and/or materials originated in the United States.” Since 1933, several additions to that policy have been enacted, and a body of policy, procedure, and case law has developed.

-------

Naturally there is a way to weasel around the rules though... The Beretta 92FS (M9) was one such "weasel".

1651184281992.png

When the U.S. Army sought to replace the Colt M1911 .45 pistol in the 1980s and selected the Italian-made Beretta 92FS—designated the Beretta M9—as the service pistol, it still required that the bulk of the production was done in the United States. The Italian gunmaker has been manufacturing firearms for the American market ever since, and in 2016 even opened a new facility in Tennessee.

More Reading about the Buy American Act

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks