• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So how accurate is the % rated meter on the MEP-003A?

ctfjr

Or this thread could be titled, "How long could I procrastinate before finishing my ammeter monitoring box?".

I finally finished installing the digital ammeters on top of the power distribution box of the generator. I used 2 Chinese digital meters with 2 current transformers. Its a simple concept - you run each wire of one side of the 220 through the center hole of the current transformer. The ac current generates a magnetic field that in turn induces a current in the winding contained in the transformer (like putting a single wire through a donut). Of course I ended up with one bad segment on one of the displays so I guess you can say I'm not really finished yet until I change that :(

I also had a major issue with the wire I ran into the transfer switch in the house. I used #2 - way overkill but I had picked it up cheap on Ebay. I couldn't maneuver the wire through the transformers in the box. I ended up reducing the last 12 inches to #6 and spliced it to the #2 using split bolts.

In the crappy Iphone pix you can see the spliced wire on the top of the box. A small open frame 12 volt dc supply is in the lower left (powers the digital displays) and the displays are on the right wall.

I checked he readings of each and they are spot on with my clamp-on ammeter. Which brings me to my question, how accurate is that % rated meter???

The load (pretty well balanced I might add) is just over 20 amps yet the % meter indicates about 30%. When the load jumped to 33 and 34 amps (each leg) the ammeter only read just under 50% -

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks