• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So your thinking Expo FMTV .. Max height ??

coachgeo

why not have a telescoping style enclosure? Sort of like this?

View attachment 647764
thanks Scott. Was my initial planned direction and have recommended that to others as well many times. If anyone is interested search the net for BILL CAID for more ideas on this. Member ReBuilder in here is going that route. Also, side note...... Hi-Lo is back in business and I have contacted them suggesting they build camper boxes alongside their trailers for those who want to go this route.

For me though Military shelters provide more protection to those sitting in the trucks cab in case of flop or roll than most other options, including a Hi-Lo. Seems to me Military shelters add a bit of ROP effect where many other options don't. Thus a wise person will have to add a ROP into their budget and build if they go with common light "camper style" constructed units. That added cost is not in the cards for me nor is a heavily constructed sweet Expo box. Do cover this point in the first post of the Expo thread that moderator copied over to here.

Last edited:

scottmandu

thanks Scott. Was my initial planned direction and have recommended that to others as well many times. If anyone is interested search the net for BILL CAID for more ideas on this. Also, side note...... Hi-Lo is back in business and I have contacted them suggesting they build camper boxes alongside their trailers for those who want to go this route.

For me though Military shelters provide more protection to those sitting in the trucks cab in case of flop or roll than most other options, including a Hi-Lo. Seems to me Military shelters add a bit of ROP effect where many other options don't. Thus a wise person will have to add a ROP into their budget and build if they go with common light "camper style" constructed units. That added cost is not in the cards for me nor is a heavily constructed sweet Expo box. Do cover this point in the first post of the Expo thread.
I'd add that few if any shelters are designed to have 17,000 pounds on top of them.

coachgeo

Coach, glad to hear your truck is ready for a camper!
Want to swap in the Intermediate axle first and do some other cleanup fixups as well but she is road happy now. IMHO Always best to take the time to plan ahead with good input from great minds. Thus much thanx for any input folk offer.

Last edited:

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With so many types of trucks even on SS, and unlimited options on campers, this is a very personal decision. Lots of options online. We just have to put on our big-boy pants and set a personal goal. Changing a goal is not an issue unless Money has already been spent, or a few hundred people are watching and waiting (in which case it might get embarrassing).

I put an Alaskan Camper on my M-1078, the non-cabover model. Height to the solar panel protective bar is 10 ft 4 inches. The truck does not know it's there. Suits my wife and me just fine.

There will always be limitations, like this 7ft 7" underpass that caught me, in heavy traffic too.

Bob

028.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

coachgeo

.....this is a very personal decision. ..... We just have to put on our big-boy pants and set a personal goal. Changing a goal is not an issue unless Money has already been spent, ..... I put an Alaskan Camper on my M-1078, the non-cabover model. Height to the solar panel protective bar is 10 ft 4 inches. The truck does not know it's there. Suits my wife and me just fine.

There will always be limitations, like this 7ft 7" underpass that caught me, in heavy traffic too.

Bob
oh fun fun on the over pass catching you. Hope your eyes 8) caught the overpass sign before it caught your truck :driver:

So far goal has never really changed. Moved forward with refinements and on forward again to present phase of brainstorming on existing boxes and how they might fit the goals. So far So good. Some additional hands-on steps must be completed before yanking up the pants again (Truck Clean up fix up, paint up finished, Cab sleep area, weather and wallet aligning) then Final decision of camper box will be made, pants will then get another yank and the next BIG phase will begin; Camper box install and outfitting.

Liking more and more the options going modular brings. That ability to use the truck when one module complete and next part under construction will be a great asset. Will be great with Truck not being tied down waiting till the whole thing gets finished. Especially since will need truck to transport large parts... Can't put plywood sheets for example in my only other forms of transport :mrgreen: (VW Beetle or Motorcycle)

BuiltMFG

I'm in the same boat, trying to figure out what makes the most sense for my "new to me" M1078. I've though about hinging the roof at the cab similar to a Vanagon.... placing the bed at the hinged side and kitchen/bath at the open side. I'm 6'4 so I'll be running into a lot of height issues as well. Looking forward to your builds.

coachgeo

I'm in the same boat, trying to figure out what makes the most sense for my "new to me" M1078. I've though about hinging the roof at the cab similar to a Vanagon.... placing the bed at the hinged side and kitchen/bath at the open side. I'm 6'4 so I'll be running into a lot of height issues as well. Looking forward to your builds.
Some kinda of raising roof makes perfect sense for your height. But it is not the only solution. The German military back in the 60's and 70's solved personnel height issues not by raising the roof higher... but by making sure no one ever needed to stand up. A rolling office chair on a track in the floor and everything was assessable from that/those chairs. Loved my old Radio Box on back of my Unimog. It was like 5' or something tall. You could go the same way and do "living" part of the day outdoor in a nicely designed and planned screen room attachment. Maybe a drop floor (or pop up roof) in one place in the camper box to stand for dressing though with practice I bet someone can figure out how to dress sitting/laying. May not be typical way... but who cares. Granted easier for me to say.... am only 5'8 and shrinking.

for me right now it will come down to either two S250's as described earlier in this thread or a 12' or 14' Ambo box off back of a used typical American ambulance. They are about same height as S250. Ambo. box might be easier to convert to camper or harder?? matters how much one wants a blank slate I guess. Each have their advantage/disadvantage.

BuiltMFG

Some kinda of raising roof makes perfect sense for your height. But it is not the only solution. The German military back in the 60's and 70's solved personnel height issues not by raising the roof higher... but by making sure no one ever needed to stand up. A rolling office chair on a track in the floor and everything was assessable from that/those chairs.
That's in interesting thought. I think my bigger issue is solving how they put a shower in something like a HiLo or a canvas sided raised roof and dealing with water/moisture mitigation (assuming I build it myself). I've had an M416 ammunition trailer with a RTT on it for years so I am kinda over rolling around getting dressed in confined quarters.