• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Soft Doors

JeremyPhillips

I continue to work my way through my M998. Up next - doors.

Both driver and passenger doors seem beyond repair. Cloudy with a chance of seeing nothing and zippers all but removed from frame. Question is - can someone refurbish? Or should I replace?

Wire Fox

I continue to work my way through my M998. Up next - doors.

Both driver and passenger doors seem beyond repair. Cloudy with a chance of seeing nothing and zippers all but removed from frame. Question is - can someone refurbish? Or should I replace?
If you have $400, order a brand new set and enjoy them for years. If you only have about $50 and lots of time, order marine polished vinyl, a heavy duty zipper, and a speedy stitcher.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had good luck with convertible top window cleaner and I stitched both the zippers in my front soft doors back in, having gotten them cheap in that condition.

A speedy stitcher is a nice to have, but not essential. The thread used in the originals is not so heavy as the wax twine used in SS's. I used Coats and Clark Outdoor thread, which is about a v70 thickness. It is available at many WalMarts and most fabric stores. One spool will last you. While at the store grab a glover's needle, as it has a nice triangular point that I find is easier to punch through old tight stitch holes. There is no need to "resew" the zippers in, just rethread the old holes, if that makes sense. it took me 45m per zipper. It was tedious, and my fingers and eyes hurt from the strain and repetition, but I am satisfied with the job and haven't had any problems.

You'll want to have the convertible top window cleaner on hand anyway for annual cleaning of the plastic windows, so that purchase isn't unnecessary. The thread and needles will come in handy for other repairs. Taken that way, there is no reason not to try, as the materials will not be wasted over time.

Bulldogger

Bulldogger

cwajciec

I used Mothers 07251 NuLens Headlight Renewal Kit from Walmart. Chucked the powerball into my drill and polished away. Did an amazing job and only took 5 mins per window. I also restitched with 15lb green fishing line which holds up as well. I have an extra drivers door with a crack in the plastic on eBay now that could use the same treatments to restore them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks