• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

solex carb. m38a1

sam rodriguez

i recently installed solex carb. on 1952 m38a1 motor ( recently rebuilt 250 miles) and it runs worst than the carter carb. that i pulled off, did i make a mistake? it pops and backfires when i accelerate, idles very rough can't adjust air/fuel. everything is in time , complete new motor, plugs, points, condenser etc. runs good with old carb. just wanted new one! i reinstalled old carb. and no more backfire and idles ok. are solex carbs. a good swap or ?

steelypip

Carbs are not like spark plug wires. They have a lot of adjustments internally that may or may not be right for your engine. I've run across a lot of 'rebuillt' carbs over the years that I ended up rebuilding again. Also, there's a distinct possibility that you have a vacuum leak between carb and manifold. Did you check the base of the new carb for flatness with a straight edge? Did you use a new base gasket and tighten the clamping nuts to the torque spec in the TM?

littlebit

Just rebuilt a Carter 950 YS on a 1968 2.2 ford 134 only three places that make a complete kit in the US. Kits for the military have to contain every part on the carb as per Mil specs. great instructions, tolerances info, and specs with the kit if you have problems with the carb. I talk to the owner of the the company very informative and helpful. His company actually rebuilds for Midwest Jeep and others that advertise carbs.