• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Some cool info (at least to me) on my new 1953 M37.

Milsurp

Ok first off, I picked up my M37 today. Drove it home and started going through it. Here is what I know about it so far.

1. There is a heater (?) of some type underneath the front seat.
2. There is some type of radio (?) in the engine compartment on the left side of the firewall.
3. Wipers are vacuum/manual.
4. Spare tire is mounted against the back of the cab.
5. Two manuals under the driver seat. More on those later.
6. Two green boxes in glove box still in wax type paper wrapping around the box. More on these later.
7. Canvas top.
8. Glove box door: upper left side is a plate with the following information on it.

TRUCK, CARGO, 3/4 TON, 4X4, M37 WOW
Ord. Stock No. G2741-8358322
MFD. BY Dodge Truck
Division of Chrysler Corporation Detroit Michigan

MFR. SER. NO. 80259991 Date DEL. 1-26-54
MFR. PART NO. Blank MODEL T 245
CONTRACT NO. 12939 INSPECTED. M (illegible)

Upper right side is another plate with the following info.

RESPONSIBLE AGENCY

PROCUREMENT - CHASSIS ORD. CORPS
DEPOT MAINTENANCE - ORD. CORPS
BODY - ORD. CORPS
MTD. EQPT. - BLANK

On the lower part of the door is a large plate describing weight and dimensions, etc.

Now, about the two cardboard unopened boxes (each the size of a two packs of cigarettes back to back). These are wrapped with wax paper and taped which has turned yellowish over the years. The label on each has the following written on them:

1 - Fed. Stk. No. 8-L-421
Sealed, Unit Tail Lamp
B/O Upper Right
6 Volt
Drg. No. C - 84934

Yankee Metal Products Corp.
No. 6384 - C

To say the least, I am super jazzed. The engine is complete, with the oil bath air cleaner, water proof spark plugs, blah, blah, blah.

The only doenside are the gauges on the dash. The glass (which is very thick by the way) is cracked and some are broken to the point where you can sticj a pencil in the hole of the glass. :(

Manuals: 135 page booklet titled ORDNANCE MAINTENANCE ENGINE CLUTCH. Department of the Army and Air Force June 1952

Other manual with 549 pages is titled POWER TRAIN BODY AND FRAME FOR 3/4 TON 4X4 CARGO TRUCK M37; COMMAND TRUCK M42; AMBULANCE TRUCK M43; AND TELEPHONE MAINTENANCE TRUCK V41. Departments of the Army and Air Force May 1953

Other than that, it all looks to be there! The Pintle hitch is still on it! :)

No pics as I do not have a digital camera. Will get some taken though and show you guys what I have. Any thoughts and or advice on the info from the tags plates would be appreciated.

Longhunter7

Translation

milsurp,

Your m37 is a 1954, the delivery date is the correct year.

The radio is really your generator/regulator on the driver side of the firewall.

You should find a serial number stamped in the drivers side of the frame between the steering box and the front spring bracket.

The numbers should match the numbers on the data plate.

M37 wow, means without a winch.

Post pictures when you can! :arrow:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks