• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Something Leaking behind front driver side tire

Hornet6

I just noticed this the other day after i drove to the store. Im not sure if it is the leaking from the rubber boot or the rectangular piece below the boot. Anyone ever have something similar to this happen?

IMG_0443.jpgIMG_0444.jpg

DatGuyC

Looks like either the input seal for the half-shaft or output seal on the spindle. Its been gone over many times on the forum and a quick search should get you what you want.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The top 2 in that area
1) Gear oil
2) Brake Fluid ( but from the looks of it , it would be some pretty cruddy brake fluid )
It was meant to push people not to be so helpless on their diagnostics.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was meant to push people not to be so helpless on their diagnostics.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
That like expecting people to use the TM's , It looks like a similar post above your got Tage banned again , At least my post has some useful information on what to check .

papakb

Just get under there and smell it, touch it and figure out what the heck it is. The 2 fluids are distinctly different in texture and smell and it should be obvoiuus what it is when you do that. If it looks like brake fluid and smells like brake fluid your probably wasting your time replacing axle seals and inspection cover sealant. Your truck looks almost spotless and it shouldn't be all that difficult to figure out what it is. It's not like you have to steam clean 34 layers of USMC undercoating and 20 years of muck off before you're going to find it.

Last edited by a moderator:

cwajciec

With inboard brakes, do you have any brake fluid in that area? If gear oil, has anyone seen a plugged vent line cause pressure to build when hot and leak like this? Could it be simple enough to blow out the vent line before tearing into it?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you can park it near wifi, I may be able to repair it from my recliner with my Iphone.

Just kidding, sorry. I could not resist.

BLK HMMWV

I was going to ask if you had the new Iphone 10 . because I'd definitely switch if it had a HMMWV repair app. or leak detector.
My guess is hub seal. I second what Papa said.

NormB

Just get under there and smell it, touch it and figure out what the heck it is. The 2 fluids are distinctly different in texture and smell and it should be obvoiuus what it is when you do that. If it looks like brake fluid and smells like brake fluid your probably wasting your time replacing axle seals and inspection cover sealant. Your truck looks almost spotless and it shouldn't be all that difficult to figure out what it is. It's not like you have to steam clean 34 layers of USMC undercoating and 20 years of muck off before you're going to find it.
Nothing wrong with tasting most of that stuff, either.

Brake fluid (DOT3 is different from DOT5), coolant, hub oil/gear lube, grease, all smell different, have different textures you can feel and taste different.

Not going to kill you, may save some time sometime.

Hornet6

Thanks for the many inputs! Even the funny ones. I just got it 3 weeks ago so I'm learning a lot. Nothing leaks unless Im driving. I dont see anything leaking when its just sitting there.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Grab the TMs if you haven't, and do the LUBE Order, regardless of what the previous owner told you. If you don't know what that leak is, one is tempted to conclude you haven't gotten intimate with the details of the HMMWV's peculiar drive train. It's peculiar, but straightforward, anyone can come up to speed on it. As to whomever you got it from, too many places only change the oil and trans fluid and trust in providence to handle the rest. That leak is almost certainly the hub spindle/half shaft seal. You should R/R every hub to be sure they're OK inside. It's tedious but not hard.

Please post your progress. There are many who can help from afar.

TMs: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?78861-TM-s-for-the-M998-series

Welcome!

Bulldogger

Action

I did not check this when I swapped fluid. Could you elaborate a little on if it is plugged can they just be cleaned out with something like brake fluid or is it a replace type deal?
The vent lines are the thin black hard plastic (some rubber) lines running everywhere. You could unhook at the hub and follow it to other connections and blow them out with air. You could also replace them if they are fragile.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks