• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

South Jersey MVPA members at the USS NerJersey

nickd

The South Jersey Chapter of the MVPA members were invited to display our vehicles at the dock in Camden N.J. where the USS New Jersey is on display. We had 4 vehicles on hand. R. Chambrian's M35A2 "Lucky Lizard", Mr. E.Baals drove his NOS 1941 Plymouth staff car, his son Erny drove his Ford script Navy Jeep with his son Erny, and my dad and I came with my mule there with ma mounted on the pedistal. Mr Baales is an USMC Iwo Jima survivor,a great guy and, we always enjoy his company.

Here are a few pictures for all to enjoy!

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nick, how much of the ship are you able to explore? My family is having a reunion next July in NC and we're planning a trip to Wilmington to tour the USS N Carolina.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most of the important areas of the ship are available to look at. The condition is pretty good, although in some areas of the ship a lot of gear has been removed during decommission, such as the radio room and navigation, a lot of gear has been demilled and taken out. Other than that, pretty nice.

A couple other Iowa class battleships have lesser amounts available to see - the Wisconsin in Newport News is available to look at the deck only (interior is locked up since she is still part of the Reserve Fleet), the Missouri is open for everyone to see in Pearl Harbor, and the Iowa is closed completely, mothballed near San Fransisco, CA in the mothball fleet there.

nickd

Kenny, Many parts of the ship have been opened since the ship arrived. Plans to open the engine room and other parts of the ship are being worked on by volunteers. There are areas of the deck that were off limits as the wood decking over the steel is being replaced. This is a work in progress museum using funds, donations and volunteers to maintain and show the ship. We have already been invited to bring our vehicles for next year.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks