• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

spare tire mounted vertically in bed of deuce

sedohr

after spending weeks looking for a generator to fit above my spare tire, i came up with an idea to mount my spare, vertically, against the front wall of my deuce. (pic 1)

the bottom hole of the spare is only a inch above the front wall. i figure i'll weld a plate about 5" x 6"w with two holes so i can secure the spare to the bed. (pic 2)

the tire takes up very little bed area (and actually helps protect my front wall winch) and yes, i'll lose a small section of the troop seat but my deuce is a utility truck first and something for show or parades second.

i recently installed a hoist crane so it makes manipulating the monster spare a tad easier (pic 3) :wink:

i now have the entire spare tire area for a generator....... and, i still have a useable spare.....

sorry for the bit blurry pics.... cam on phone doesn't autofocus too well in lower light.

Attachments

91W350

We picked up an M813 that had the spare mounted to the front bed wall. I will try to grab a photo to see how it was done. Glen

plym49

Nice. If you boxed around the winch, you could mount the s[are in the center, so you would not have to cut anoter troop seat. Or, maybe mount it on the other side and eliminate the troop seat on the passenger's side altogether.

Trango

I made a spare tire mounting plate for the deuce rim, complete with 4 lugs and round center plate (the water jetted center hole from the wheel centers I made), but never mounted it. Well, I should say, I was going to mount it, and then I sold all 3 vehicles with the 6 on 8.75" bolt pattern.

If anyone is close to Boulder/Denver, I'd be happy to trade it for a 6er of microbrew. It would be a no brainer to spend 20 minutes welding this type of plate to the bed or frame and quickly obtain a vertical mount. Let me know.

Best,
Bob

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did that one as well. My is designed to go into the stake-side holes, as I don't have any sides (it was a comm truck w/ a 280 in the bed). I can remove it if wanted.
The inside view is a piece of channel w/ a hole in the middle, there's a bolt welded into the main part, held tight by a nut/washer combo.
We sized it so that when I bump up to 11/20's I can just close the tailgate & it sits on the bed, right now I space under it w/ some 2x.
11-08-05 (4).jpg 11-09-23 (8).jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks