• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sparks on Jumper Cable on MEP-002

mrcarman

Need input on a technical problem. I'm getting sparking on one side of the short battery jumper cable where it attaches the two batteries together terminal. I'm getting it just on one side where the jumper attaches to the battery terminal. It was starting fine before with no sparking issues and now there are still no issues when I prime or preheat. But when I try to start it, it sparks fairly significantly where the jumper attaches to the battery terminal and then goes dead. If I monkey with it a bit, I get power again for priming and preheat but it sparks again and fails when attempting to start. My first thought was a short of some sort but not sure why all works fine when I prime or preheat. The sparking seems to be starting to melt the battery terminal. Any ideas?

sewerzuk

Yep...it is simply a loose connection. There is no short...the battery terminals just need to be cleaned.
Best thing to do is to remove the cable completely, and use a terminal brush to clean both the battery post and the inside of the connector. It is common for a thin layer of corrosion to form inside of those connectors, and the high resistance connection allows a limited amount of current flow. Enough to run pumps and preheat, but when you try to pass the high starter current through it it forms a large arc. It can actually melt the post down into the battery case, if you're not careful.

mrcarman

Yeah, they were invaluable in getting it cleaned up and running.

By the way, I cleaned the terminal and connector and retightened it and it solved the problem. Thanks for the help.

Triple Jim

I like to put a layer of grease in the joint when reassembling after cleaning. It keeps water and acid fumes out and makes the connection more reliable.

1800 Diesel

I like to put a layer of grease in the joint when reassembling after cleaning. It keeps water and acid fumes out and makes the connection more reliable.
We think alike--if I have a can handy I use anti-seize compound on the posts and the fastener threads too....otherwise I use grease from a squashed tube of grease that won't go in the grease gun..either one does the job... :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks