• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spatial Separation - CLOSE CALL? Impending MIDAIR COLLISION?

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK... So I already know there was NO COLLISION. And that "close" only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and atomic weapons, but.....

This morning, on my way to work, I witnessed two converging contrails in the eastern sky from my vantage point within the city of San Angelo, TX.

The "vertical" track is headed due west from the rising sun and is most probably regularly scheduled civilian traffic out of San Antonio. The "horizontal" track from left to right is typical military traffic bound for Del Rio, Texas.

I have no idea what the vertical separation of these two aircraft may have been, but from my perspective, I'm envious of the cockpit view that one crew had!

2014-01-15 Close Pass-By 0750hrs East of San Angelo TX 001.jpg2014-01-15 Close Pass-By 0750hrs East of San Angelo TX 002.jpg2014-01-15 Close Pass-By 0750hrs East of San Angelo TX 003.jpg2014-01-15 Close Pass-By 0750hrs East of San Angelo TX 004.jpg2014-01-15 Close Pass-By 0750hrs East of San Angelo TX 005.jpg2014-01-15 Close Pass-By 0750hrs East of San Angelo TX 006.jpg2014-01-15 Close Pass-By 0750hrs East of San Angelo TX 007.jpg2014-01-15 Close Pass-By 0750hrs East of San Angelo TX 008.jpg2014-01-15 Close Pass-By 0750hrs East of San Angelo TX 009.jpg

pmramsey

At the altitude that you picture, the aircraft are both flying at "pressure altitudes" meaning they set their altimeters to 29.96 as they climb through 18,000 feet. Altitude separation should be a minimum of 4,000 feet above 29,000. Given the different direction of travel based on magnetic compass headings, the altitude separation would be 6,000 feet. However, visibility appears to be "severe clear," therefore, with the advice and consent of ATC for this upper-level airspace, one or both of the aircraft may close the required separation provided the one aircraft maintains constant visual contact with the other aircraft.

Last edited:

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
At the altitude that you picture, the aircraft are both flying at "pressure altitudes" meaning they set their altimeters to 29.96 as they climb through 18,000 feet. Altitude separation should be a minimum of 4,000 feet above 29,000. Given the different direction of travel based on magnetic compass headings, the altitude separation would be 6,000 feet. However, visibility appears to be "severe clear," therefore, with the advice and consent of ATC for this upper-level airspace, one or both of the aircraft may close the required separation provided the one aircraft maintains constant visual contact with the other aircraft.
Uhmmmm,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,yeah,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,what he said. Of course...... absolutely. (LOL)
God bless,
Tony

foxmike

Aircraft above 18,000' or FL180 actually set altimeters to 29.92 and minimum altitude separation is 1000' vertically. It is really neat to pass another aircraft at over 1000 kts closure just 1000 feet away!

So while those 2 planes look like they were going to hit each other, they were under ATC radar control the entire time. Many times you will see converging contrails and navigation waypoint intersections or air routes. Think of highways in the sky. Every once in a while, they have to cross, just like an interstate. Some of my favorite views are when you get towards the west coast. Lots of contrails converging on Los Angeles.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks