• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

speedo adapter

RANDYLBARNES

After flipping the hubs and installing my new super single 22.5 tires I thought I would try and figure out why my speedo does not work. When I remove the 90 degree drive from the transfer case I noticed that there is nothing in the case to drive the square drive to run the speedo cable. Is this what is changed to correct the speedo when the tire size is changed to make the speedo correct and if so where can I get one?

ida34

I have the same problem. I have not pulled apart the part on the tranfer case yet but when I attached a drill to the 90 adapter the speedo registered. I am checking on getting the part from Sarafan and will post when I know what it costs and if it is available. On regular cars the factory changes the plastic gear to account for different ratio rear ends and transmissions. If the adapter Dieselsmoke is talking about is the type that takes the place of the 90 adapter then this obviously will not fix your problem. I think the part we need is a vehicle specific part. I think you need to put this part in then get the 90 adapter at the speedo shop. If I misconstrued what Dieselsmoke is talking about then I apoligize for contradicting him.

Jones

Went through this with one of my Unimogs. Once I determined that the speedo drive output from the gearbox was working I went down to the local speedometer shop and they put a calibrated distance measuring head onto the output and sent me down to drive their measured mile. The readout, measured in feet, told them how far high or low my output was reading. From that they figured out what ratio was needed to give the correct input into the dashboard speedo head. Assembled me a snazzy little compensator that attached inline to the speedo cable and sent me out the door with a correct reading speedometer and at only about $35.00.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1075,
If Randy doesn't have a digital camera, I do. When he comes over, I'll get lots of pictures from numerous angles. I'll be happy to send them to you so you can pick and choose.

Let me just say that his Super Singles look GREAT. 315/75R/22.5. They are BFG's (I think) with an awesome lug pattern on the four rear drive wheels. The fronts are more 'highway friendly'.

While I was at his shop, the auto parts delivery guy showed up with a set of chains that Randy ordered. He put them on immediately. THEY LOOKED GREAT. And it looked like he could climb walls with those puppies on. And he got them for $50 a set. Granted he's gonna get three sets, but that's still only $150 total.

Once I decide on tires, I am going to get three sets myself.

Randy, I hope you aren't freezing your butt off camping at altitude this weekend. See ya next week.

jim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks