• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Speedometer Cable question

JetbikeAnt

Good morning All. I have my dash out to replace a lamp. I disconnected my speedometer cable to make life easier. My Speedometer works, but not smoothly. The needle kinda bounces through the entire range. Can just the Speedometer cable itself be pulled out, cleaned, lubricated, and reinstalled with out removing the Sheath or disconnecting it under the Truck? Is that something to look at to remedy this or am I missing something? Its that that super long Speedo cable. Thanks in advance!

cg25713

JetbikeAnt: I'm having the exact same issue and have the same question. I traced the cable back to the crankcase and was thinking about removing it, laying it flat on the ground, remove shaft from sheath, grease and then reinstall. I'm weary about just pulling the shaft out in place. It it can be pulled out I think it would be very difficult to put back in. Anyone out there have experience with this?

JetbikeAnt

When I had the cluster forward I pulled the speedo cable out slightly, greased the end and made sure it was inserted. The Speedo itself worked smoothly with a Q-Tip slightly inserted spinning it and it was smooth. Then a member DMed me this "I cant help with the speedo cable. Mine is electric
On yours, there is a 90 degree joint at the transfer case. There is a square pin on one end of the elbow. When it gets rounded, the speedo can jump around." I saw this square pin for sale, but haven't done anything yet. I'm worried if I tried to replace it, the indexing which seems to be a headache would come into play. Can anyone speak to this and replacing the square Pin?

Action

When I had the cluster forward I pulled the speedo cable out slightly, greased the end and made sure it was inserted. The Speedo itself worked smoothly with a Q-Tip slightly inserted spinning it and it was smooth. Then a member DMed me this "I cant help with the speedo cable. Mine is electric
On yours, there is a 90 degree joint at the transfer case. There is a square pin on one end of the elbow. When it gets rounded, the speedo can jump around." I saw this square pin for sale, but haven't done anything yet. I'm worried if I tried to replace it, the indexing which seems to be a headache would come into play. Can anyone speak to this and replacing the square Pin?
The indexing is on the transfer case when you replace the internal gear. You don't have to undo that . Pop open the TM and you will see how it all fits together.
Unscrew the cable from the elbow. Unscrew the elbow from the transfer case. There is a pin between the elbow and transfer case. Inspect all the parts for wear etc.

This is what gets rounded...
1620321599896.png

Last edited:

papakb

Before the pins were readily available I made my own by cutting off the square drive from an auto parts store generic cable. It's been in there 20 years at this point and still works perfectly. The right angle drive on my truck was loose when I got it and flopping around had rounded off the cable. Simple fix but make sure the drive is firmly attached to the T-case.

You can easily pull the entire speedo cable from the housing and clean and relubricate it without damaging anything. I used white lithium grease on mine. Some people call it Ste-Lube.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks