• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Speedometer & Fuel gauge troubleshooting

cucvrus

A tree limb works if the job has to be done. 4 friends and a 6 pack do wonders at times. Set a goal to have the bed ready to remove and when the helpers will be there. That day remove the bed. You will need a case to keep them hanging out till the job is done. But back in the day I bought lots of labor and helped many friends with the helping each other as needed method. My Sons all grew up and moved away. Good Luck. There is more than 1 way to get things done.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
A tree limb works if the job has to be done. 4 friends and a 6 pack do wonders at times. Set a goal to have the bed ready to remove and when the helpers will be there. That day remove the bed. You will need a case to keep them hanging out till the job is done. But back in the day I bought lots of labor and helped many friends with the helping each other as needed method. My Sons all grew up and moved away. Good Luck. There is more than 1 way to get things done.
Yes Sir... I am guessing that is where the term "Shade Tree Mechanic" came from. Not in a derogatory way either!
Before I got an A-Frame or Gantry - whatever you want to call it - I have used a come-along, chain, and a tree limb to lift things. :cool:

KallyLC

I don't like to leave threads open-ended, so I thought I'd share a follow up.

Dropped the tank today, turns out the float on the sending unit was stuck past full, it had gotten stuck past the limiting tabs you can see below. Though once we unstuck it, it still didn't work even with the missing ground wire reconnected. I suspect there's probably more to it than just being stuck, so that'll go on the shelf for now and get fixed or rebuilt at a later date.

Tested the replacement unit I ordered from RockAuto before dropping it in the tank, and the gauge is reading accurately. That's installed in the tank now. Just need to go to the store tomorrow to pick up some new rubber hoses, as the ones that were on there are a little too short.

I'm not sure how much slack these hoses are meant to have, the TM describes that you should be able to lower the tank 5 or so inches to connect or disconnect them, so I'll make some up that are a couple of inches longer than these. At present they barely reach even when the tank is fully in position, the vent and return hoses pretty much fell off when we lowered the tank down, so they were barely hanging onto the hard lines.

IMG_2507.JPGIMG_2506.JPG

And on the speedometer side of things, the gauge itself is definitely broken. I wanted to check if the cable was binding, so I disconnected both ends, stuck a tape flag to the gauge end, and ran it with a drill from under the truck to see if it got hung up, but it's smooth and consistent. I think the magnets in the gauge are probably shot. I will get that replaced at some point, but my GPS speedometer is serving me quite well so it's not a matter of urgency.

SomeNewGuy

I was having an issue with my speedometer reading +10 mph and bouncing while over 35-40 mph.
One day, while a bit drunk, I decided to pull the gauge cluster and clean all connections as I was having quite a few electrical issues in it.

Forgot to disconnect the speedo and tugged a few times, realized my error and decided I was too inebriated to work on the truck so I put everything back and the next day the speedometer is only +-2mph compared to gps and didnt bounce even at 70+ mph.

Not sure how this helps, but sometimes you just need to have a beer and fiddle with it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks