• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

spicer 3053a top cover questions.

nathantc409

thanks, and i agree, almost looks stock. if it wasn't for the very long shifter travel between 1st and reverse it could have been just like stock. soon ill be in the market for another spicer 3053a. i want one to fully rebuild, swap out, and rebuild this one.. fill to the top with oil, and store it for a rainy day.

rustystud

thanks, and i agree, almost looks stock. if it wasn't for the very long shifter travel between 1st and reverse it could have been just like stock. soon ill be in the market for another spicer 3053a. i want one to fully rebuild, swap out, and rebuild this one.. fill to the top with oil, and store it for a rainy day.
If you fill it to the top it will leak out the front shaft. There is no seal there. Fill it to the top of the fill plug only.

nathantc409

If you fill it to the top it will leak out the front shaft. There is no seal there. Fill it to the top of the fill plug only.
I was just thinking filling one up for storage. I'm sure I could figure out a way to temporarily seal the front shaft. I just know if it's plumb full of oil for storage it can't get moisture in there to harm anything.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm sure I could figure out a way to temporarily seal the front shaft.
Or.... you could always store it tilted up 45⁰, filled up to the top after unscrewing the breather...;)

Seriously: Don't do that, these things are not so delicate. Just smear plenty of grease on all moving parts of your "new" top cover; pour fresh gear oil all over the gear cluster while turning that output shaft over and shut the lid.
That's all it takes to keep it safe from any rusting - for decades.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks