• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spin on filter options

hdexpert

I have Westfolks spin on oil filter kit and I couldn't be happier. Great guy to deal with and an excellent product at a good price. I'll be buying the fuel kits from him when the extra $$$ appears.:p

hdmax

I ordered the fuel kits (Both!) from Westfolk at 1:17 AM this morning (I work nights, so I do my best work after midnight, just ask the ladies! :grin: ) and at 1:25AM this morning, I received an email from him letting me know he would be sending them in one package, saving me the shipping cost of the second kit. (He too must be a night owl.

I have the oil filter kit that [FONT=&quot]Scott Wojciak AKA [/FONT]tie6044 sells here in the classifieds, I believe it is a better kit, because for just $10 more you get two Wix anti drain back oil filters. (The filters are 21 micron, part number
Wix 51458 or Napa 1458 Oil Filter

for those that want to know the [FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Thread Size: it is 7/8-16 [/SIZE][/FONT]and you can buy a case of 12 for under $100
The kit takes 5 minutes to put on, and I would recommend this kit to anyone looking to do this type of upgrade, and even if you don't think it is necessary, you should consider doing it.

For those doing this upgrade, the bolt in the top of the two canisters are 3/4", and the adapter nut that holds the aluminum adapter on is 1 1/8" Make sure you remove the old gaskets, and install the new gaskets before installing the adapters.
Hope this helps!

Last edited:

westfolk

My mass produced design used a 13/16" thread for the filter. You had choices that worked for filters, but only a few. The 7/8" thread let's you use only one filter...the 1458.
When I was approached to make several hundred kits for a company they wanted to know if I could make a change. That change was to use the 1"-12 thread for the filter. I got the job. Glad I did, that thread size allows the use of so many different filters it's unreal. All with high flowrates and micron options. I should have gone that way from the start.

JJensen

How do you go about getting these and what filters do you recommend for use with your adapters. Thanks Jim
Just send him a PM and he'll get back to you. There is a long list of filters that you can use. Most are easily available at any parts store.

He does most of his computer work in the evening, so if you PM him this morning he may not reply til tonight.

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone noticed their truck running different after putting on the secondary fuel filters? I have the spin-ons for the Primary and Oil but not the secondary yet. I was wondering if the truck ran any different if the secondary filters are filtering at a lower micron rating. I would think if would put more "pure" fuel into the engine and might make a tiny bit of difference.

Katahdin

Not really, what controls the amount of fuel going into the engine's combustion chamber is the injection pump, not the fuel filters. Whereas clogged fuel filters can starve the injection pump, creating power loss, excess fuel is just going flow past the injection system and return to the fuel tank. Hopefully this answers your question.

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not really, what controls the amount of fuel going into the engine's combustion chamber is the injection pump, not the fuel filters. Whereas clogged fuel filters can starve the injection pump, creating power loss, excess fuel is just going flow past the injection system and return to the fuel tank. Hopefully this answers your question.
I am more concerned with better quality fuel getting into the cylinders. If the spin on filters are doing a much better job at filtering over the stock. The fuel should have less dirt and crud in it, allowing a better burn. It might make a very slight difference, just wondered if anyone did any comparisons and notice anything. That's all.

welldigger

Its not so much that the fuel burns better. More along the lines of your injectors and IP last a whole lot longer with clean fuel. Water is one of the biggest enemies of the diesel engine. Water is **** on injectors.

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its not so much that the fuel burns better. More along the lines of your injectors and IP last a whole lot longer with clean fuel. Water is one of the biggest enemies of the diesel engine. Water is **** on injectors.
Ok, that makes sense. Thank you for the clarification.

Darwin T

I have the oil kit on my M109a3 andd yes i love it. Adding oil and secondary kit to my new LDS-465 engine that will be in my M52a2 along with a new wiring harness. The take out engine will get a new turbo, head gasket and new fuel lines and then go into my M109a3. All that work will be much easier with the engine NOT in a truck.

Trying to upload picture and the site freezes like yesterday. I posted yesterday and added the picture this morning under lds swap (i think that was the title).

Attachments

Last edited: