• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spotted at Ft Sam

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is currently on the DRMO side just sitting. I was told IF it transferred over to GL it would be as Mutilation Required unless it was bought by a verifiable museum. Parts would be allowed to be removed but the tub would have to be shredded for anyone else.

Attachments

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The normal demil proceedure for the M151 was to allow the buyer to remove everything that was bolted on....the pan was then cut into four pieces and crushed......then it was pitched into the DRMO scrap metal dumpster.

I watched 35 of them get that treatment at Fort McClellan in 1991.....the buyer had purchased the entire lot for around 15 bucks each.

I was writing an article for the post fishwrapper about DRMO and I interviewed him as part of my research.

This was before GL when the bids were submitted in writing to DRMO.

The trucks had just come from Anniston Army Depot where they had been retrofitted with the ROPS.

They were issued to the MP school for training and two weeks later they were turned in and the first HUMVEE's were issued to a training unit.

I resently met up with the old guy that bought them and he had gotten rid of just about all of his surplus stuff.......at one time he had three huge chicken houses full .

He also had two WWI vintage railroad cars that had came from Anniston Army Depot....they are still there but are in very poor condition.

Some of the M151's got out in one piece and some were welded back together......there is a guy near me that has a couple of them.

I drove them back in the 70's when I was in the Active Army in Germany and in the early 80's when I was in the Tennesse National Guard.

As long as you respect that independent suspension they are good little trucks.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, All the mutt tubs must be destroyed. Removing parts is OK, tubs aren't.:cookoo:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was at Ft Lewis when we turned these in in the mid-80s. We busted our butts at the company level getting them ready to turn in (we had around 35 but could only get them in good enough condition to turn in 30 by scavenging from the others). To see them destroyed after all that work was pretty frustrating.

They said this one came from Lackland but didn't know exactly where it was over there. It had either benn partially scavenged or someone had started a restoration as the seats and some other small parts are missing.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
this one came from Lackland but didn't know exactly where it was over there.
Somewhere at one of the AF bases in SA is some kind of bone yard where ancient stuff like this is just sitting. My M915A1 came from there and it looks like it sat unsused since the mid 80's. I would be curious where this yard is. This MUTT looks like a A1 from the late 1960s.

cstaup

What a nice straight body. Hope a museum gets it. We had them still in the 90's as range vehicles and as training for mechanics.

vtdeucedriver

Well look on the bright side, Because it will get crushed, it will not bring big $$$$ to GL so they can stuff their mattress with some more of our money.

bullfrog1234

I am surprised it did not go to a firing range instead of GL. It amazes me that the military will purchase all end items to turn in equipment like this and only to be crushed, but the commanders are held accountable for everything until properly turned in IAw military requlations.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks