• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sprag replacement/adjustment- where do I even get them?

Monster Man

Well, I have come to the conclusion that 4 wheel drive is just about worthless. Driving through mud pits and up snow piles is all well and good if you have the momentum, but sometimes I don't. Not to mention the suspension doesn't articulate and about halfway up a pile I lose my middle axle traction. But, I can't afford the REB shift kit now that I'm going back to school. So, my question is where do I find new sprags? Didn't see them at Saturn, or in any Supply Lines. Memphis Equipment? Jeez, might just go with their shift kit, it'll probably be about as much for sprags, huh? [^] When I had the output cover off, it was apparent that one of the sprags was stripped, or both. So, I want to replace them but don't want used pieces, because of the same problem. Anybody got any leads? What tools are needed for the swap? I assume a shop press in addition to the tools needed to take the output off. Can it be done from the front of the output without taking it off? I doubt it.... Then once in how do I know they are adjusted properly (which manual do I find that in)? Jeez I wish that airshift swap would have worked........

any advice? [:)]

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lance, why did you opt not to swap the whole t-case for the air shift? I'm changing mine out as soon as the weather allows, hopefully next weekend!

bigkaiser

Lance, the info I was given on the adjusting of the sprag case amounted to a couple of photo-copies. They came out of TM9-2320-209-20 pgs 267 & 268? Maybe some help there...

Monster Man

yama-hama! Maybe I am confused as to what the sprague actually looks like, but aren't they just the two little colar looking bands that have a bunch of "teeth" on them, about 3" diameter or so? I found the add, it just lists "sprague"- you think that's only for one of them, or am I confused as to what it actually is I am replacing. Is the sprague that whole assembly of gears in the output cover?

Monster Man

that is definitely true- I mean, $300 and it will probably just go bad again (I know, I know, drive it and adjust it correctly and it won't break, but come on, who here REALLY starts in first gear every time :)