• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spray Cans clog on use.

cckw353

Did not see this addressed using the search function.

I have 5 cans of Gillespee 33070 purchased in May 2007 from Rapco. That is what was left over last year from a case of 12.

I went to use them this year and after shaking completely (15 minutes in the shaker and 5 by hand, and more with subsequent cans) I found that I could spray the can for about 10 seconds and then the nozzle would clog. I break out a new nozzle and get no spray. Put that nozzle on another can get about 10 seconds and the same happens. Put the nozzle on a 2008 acquired can and she works fine.

Consequently a can of 319 from 4 years ago still works after sitting that long.

My question. Does the paint go bad that quickly. Was it a bad batch. I have some Rustoleum cans that are 5 plus years old that work like new.

Winter storage was in a heated basement. I have put some Xylene on the opening where the nozzle plugs in in the hope that it would dissolve any clots. No go.

Anybody have any ideas what went wrong and how I can fix this.

All suggestions welcome.

Bill

Barrman

I have the same clogging issues sometimes. I can't find a pattern to it, but sometimes they work and some days they clog no matter what I do.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I find that certain tips work better and continuously. Take the tip off a can that works well and reuse it.

Bill W

Not sure if he's fixed/changed it since then but 5-6yrs ago I always had problems with the Rapco cans clogging, heres what I did
I would pull out the spray tip and take a razor and clean out the little slit on the end of the stem ( back then the spray tip/head had the stem attached to it ). Also when I was done spraying I would make sure to turn the can upside down and spray till just air blew out then I'd take the spray can cap and fill it up half way with mineral sprits then pull off the sprayer tip and leave it in mineral spirits ( Xzylene if it was really clogged) till I needed to spray again. Again I'm assuming he has not changed to a different spray tip since I had my problems

steelandcanvas

Re: RE: Spray Cans clog on use.

Barrman said:
I have the same clogging issues sometimes. I can't find a pattern to it, but sometimes they work and some days they clog no matter what I do.
Same here. My Rust-Oleum cans I take back to Home Dumpo, old stock gets tossed after clogging a few tips. No rhyme or reason, probably imported parts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks