• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spring Starter

army70deuce

I love my 1970 M35A2, what I don't love are 2 shot batteries. I bought it back in 2008 so who knows how old the batteries were at that point but as of this spring they are 100% shot. Since the batteries are only used for the lights and starter I was wondering if I could find a work around to remove the starter and use lower amp, smaller, cheaper batteries for just the lights. I was doing some research and ran across the Spring Starter concept and wanted to see what people thought about it. Primarily they are used on engines that are in remote locations, subject to water, or sit idle for long periods.

The following are some pretty good you tube videos that describe it pretty well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An0PnUawiHY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er1rxYKetiU

oddshot

I was doing some research and ran across the Spring Starter concept and wanted to see what people thought about it. Primarily they are used on engines that are in remote locations, subject to water, or sit idle for long periods.
Very interesting idea. I think I have seen films of this kind of starter installed on old aircraft.

Cold starts might be a problem in some areas, but it don't get all that cold in GA.

You could cut out all the 24 VDC stuff, just install a 12VDC alternator and one car sized battery and replace your bulbs and etc.

Would would the price of this thing be?

T

Last edited:

firedog104

A quick google search brought up some great info on spring starters. I had never heard of one prior to 10 minutes ago, but what a great idea! Looks like custom applications can be had as well. Interested on pricing.

whiskey357

Banned
Could used it on 3 cyl jimmy as we did back in 71 in Guam....1950s power plant...had a spring starter........worked most of time...ended getting a 6cyl with starter and batteries...works even better...........just buy the wal-mart batteries easier to play with...

army70deuce

I have emailed 2 manufacturers, one out of Canada one in the US. Hopefully I'll have more info to share on pricing and application tomorrow. I really like the idea of cutting out as much electrical as possible and the starter is a big one, after that the alternator is basically powering your lights with the battery just acting as a buffer.

Smokinyoda

Interesting idea... could be a pain after a filter change though. Or a cold winter morning. But then again think of the exercise you would get winding that thing back up... over and over and over...

Keep us posted with pricing.

army70deuce

I have only heard back from 1 of the 2 companies that make spring starters, unfortunately they do not make one small enough for the application. And they basically told me it would not be cost effective for me to order just one. Now looking into the hydraulic starter which is made in the US vs the spring starters that were Europe based. Should pair well with the power steering I've already installed.

JasonS

You need batteries anyway for the alternator to function. I got 5 years out of my last walmart batteries.

rustystud

Unless your in a remote part of the planet or preparing for the "Apocalypse" just get batteries. Some of our busses used a air-starter back in the late 1980's (German "MAN" busses ). They where nothing but trouble. If it was a nice warm day and you had no air leaks ;) , no problem. Let it get cold outside and the engines setting for awhile and you would run outa of air before the engine would start. You cannot "jump start" an air-starter ! You have to get the air tanks full and try again. This spring starter sounds like the same thing. Works great when the engine has been run daily and the weather is nice and warm, but let it get cold outside and the fuel gets thick and we will see how much fun that spring starter is !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks