• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Squeaky belt

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine squeaked when my belt was out of alignment.
Alternator bracket had the rear brace stud on the exhaust sheared off, and that put extra stress on the front bolts, two of which sheared off and the third loosened. Ended up replacing the rear bracket with the newer one.

If your serial number is below 196900 (the power steering reservoir is on the pump and not remoted to the top of the engine) you might check to see if the alternator is loose.
If your serial number is above that, then just check to make sure everything is lined up properly.

Doug D.

Mine squeaked when my belt was out of alignment.
Alternator bracket had the rear brace stud on the exhaust sheared off, and that put extra stress on the front bolts, two of which sheared off and the third loosened. Ended up replacing the rear bracket with the newer one.

If your serial number is below 196900 (the power steering reservoir is on the pump and not remoted to the top of the engine) you might check to see if the alternator is loose.
If your serial number is above that, then just check to make sure everything is lined up properly.
yea my reservoir is on top. i will check everything. So if everything is aligned and tight---would you use belt dressing?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes but it is masking the real problem probably. The rubber is older and deteriorating. The belt dressing is lubricating & softening the rubber and buying you time. I would recommend non military belts from your neighborhood parts store preferably a name brand like Dayco, Gates, Goodyear etc. No telling how long military belts were made or in storage before being surplussed......

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
i have a M1114 humvee and the belts squeak when i push the accelerator. Any ideas on what to do?
If a serpentine belt is squealing there is something wrong, if it is squealing when the engine is revved up I would check to make sure it has enough tension, look at the pulley alignment closely, as mentioned before all new HMMWV owners should check all the alt. mounting bolts as that is a VERY common issue.
Replacing the belt and all the idler pulleys is cheap insurance and you can inspect things better as you do this.
Also with the serpentine belt setup you do not have to mess with the fan clutch hose etc. to replace the belt.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The idler pulleys use a replaceable bearing in them that isn't that hard to change out. If nothing else keep a few of them on hand.

6203 bearings, 2 per idler.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine didn’t squeak and it started after a few hundred miles and it drove me nuts! Ordered a new belt from Mac Motors I believe and it wasn’t a cogged belt like the original. It was fine for a few hundred miles and it started squeaking. I replaced it with a gates fleet belt that was green and I have 1,900 squeak free miles. I can’t explain why it was doing it and I checked alignment and spun pulleys. Change your belt and see what happens

Doug D.

Yes but it is masking the real problem probably. The rubber is older and deteriorating. The belt dressing is lubricating & softening the rubber and buying you time. I would recommend non military belts from your neighborhood parts store preferably a name brand like Dayco, Gates, Goodyear etc. No telling how long military belts were made or in storage before being surplussed......
thanks--you have any part numbers for those non-military belts?

Adrok

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check and investigate for underlying problems: Alignment, age, damage, tension. If all is good, then it should not 'squeak' consistently. If the noise is intermittent ( start up, rain ) then you might consider moisture / humidity / contamination. At that point keep driving or replace with a modern non-mil belt.

Doug D.

Check and investigate for underlying problems: Alignment, age, damage, tension. If all is good, then it should not 'squeak' consistently. If the noise is intermittent ( start up, rain ) then you might consider moisture / humidity / contamination. At that point keep driving or replace with a modern non-mil belt.
thanks and will do!

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I assume you have the 6.2/6.5 with v belts? check this thread for belt numbers and matched set information if not familiar with the term:

Doug D.

I assume you have the 6.2/6.5 with v belts? check this thread for belt numbers and matched set information if not familiar with the term:
no its serpentine belt with A/C COMPRESSOR

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine is older M998 so I am not familiar with the serpentine belt set ups but there are many posts on here with the information depending on serial number, ac, and turbo from what I recall. Use your friend google but verify :cool:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
so in another lifetime I sold parts. We had a simple way to help people determine if the belt or component was the issue. Use a plain ole bar of soap and let it rub while the belt is moving. If the noise goes away, belt is bad. Soap wont cure a bad pulley bearing, tensioner etc....

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
so in another lifetime I sold parts. We had a simple way to help people determine if the belt or component was the issue. Use a plain ole bar of soap and let it rub while the belt is moving. If the noise goes away, belt is bad. Soap wont cure a bad pulley bearing, tensioner etc....
Excellent idea. Maybe the less mechanically inclined should use a pliers to hold the soap near the belt, or else count fingers before and after the test and them compare the numbers…

Seriously, awesome method to check belt.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks