• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Squibbly's M1009 and other Questionable Projects

cucvrus

I have installed over 100 flex-plates on CUCV's. New used and questionable. I never set one down and checked if it was flat. I looked at the teeth and made sure I seen no stress cracks in the steel inner surface. The unevenness will go away once it is secured in place by the 6 crank shaft bolts and the 6 torque converter bolts. I think you are getting flex plate paranoia. Just put it in and correctly fasten it to the correct torque converter and it will be golden. I know the frustration you are having doing this job more than once. I have been there on many projects. Mostly fixing other peoples hacked up modified junk. At this point in life I choose which projects I want to involve myself in and which I will pay to have done. I don't even change my own oil anymore because I can hardly justify the $47. that the GM dealer charges to do it. I trust them because they basically let me in the shop while my truck is up in the air and I check everything. I took my M1009 to the GM dealer for PA state inspection and service. It never needed anything because I was strict on maintaining it. If it had a strange noise or issue. I was on it. I sold that M1009 3 years ago and I still see it from time to time. You are doing a great job. The only thing I would do differently is have the transmission gone over before putting it back in. Good Luck and Happy Holidays.

Squibbly

Well, the mail lady was glad I came to the rescue to get this out of her trunk. This thing is no joke. They sent it with a bunch of fluid in it. Didn’t expect that.

I was walking back to the door with it and hear liquid jiggling around and was like “wait…I didn’t drink anything”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cucvrus

Yea my plywood and board homemade holder complete with ratchet strap works great on my Snap-On floor jack. I feared asking the Snap-On man the cost of a transmission jack. and that was in 1990. Most times I was in the dirt and just pressed the transmission back up in place. I can't do that anymore. I tried a few times. It happens to the best of us. Happy Holidays and I think you made a good buy only if you use it more than once.

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea my plywood and board homemade holder complete with ratchet strap works great on my Snap-On floor jack. I feared asking the Snap-On man the cost of a transmission jack. and that was in 1990. Most times I was in the dirt and just pressed the transmission back up in place. I can't do that anymore. I tried a few times. It happens to the best of us. Happy Holidays and I think you made a good buy only if you use it more than once.
It's hell when you grow old. First thing to go is your strength. Your mind and common sense will soon follow.
And remember, after 60,,,, "What doesn't hurt doesn't work".

Squibbly

I guess it’s always easier the second time. Only took me a few hours to drop it out this time without event. Not the cleanest job when you have to drop it all the way out. Ratchet straps are a must for me. Lunch and hopefully back in by supper. We’ll see what happens.

Squibbly

Transmission back up. Tomorrow is driveshafts, starter and test. The transmission jack and some ratchet straps made the alignment back in a breeze. The worst part was actually getting the fill tube back in.

Going to take some Goof Off driveway oil stain remover to get those stains off my driveway once this is done. 🙃

Last edited:

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Transmission back up. Tomorrow is driveshafts, starter and test. The transmission jack and some ratchet straps made the alignment back in a breeze. The worst part was actually getting the full tube back in.

I helped a guy put his transmission in his civilian blazer and that transmission tube was a real bear. Everything in the way, no room to work. Kicked our butts.

Squibbly

A shop would have charged me for at least 10 of these jacks to do the job. This way, I have the job done *and* get to keep all the tools.
Plus I know the mechanic…
I’m sure even if I don’t need something else with the transmission, somebody else will.

cucvrus

I myself had Dogs all my life. Now I have Cats. I never want to go thru the loss of another furry Child. My best buddy fur baby in the world passed away and I fear of the next one could outlive me. The Dog would not know how to handle that and would think I abandon it. Cats??? Well, they don't really care if you live or die. They are happy and nice but live life on their terms. They also do provide great companionship and don't require a constant babysitter. Happy Holidays. A meme I seen and laughed. So true. Have a Great Day.
Squibbly
I think we need to get working on the back end of that M1009 and get that pintle hook and rear bumper squared away and back in alignment. Lets just say I have been there and left my Son use my M1009. 066.JPG 067.JPG 068.JPG 069.JPG No worries it was opportunity knocking. It gave me the opportunity to open up the entire rear bumper and floor area and do some much needed maintenace. 109.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:

cucvrus

Do you have a picture of this, @cucvrus ?
Basically, it was a piece of 3/4" plywood with 4 sides that the transmission pan sat inside of. I would strap the transmission fast to it and place it on my floor jack and jack it up in place. Outside I used plywood on the ground and inside the cement floor to roll it back and forth. I just put transmissions in with a board balanced on the floor jack. I am trying to stay away from that heavy work anymore. Yesterday I was jacking up a front corner of a 2 1/2 story barn with 2 - 20-ton bottle jacks. The fluid was bypassing on the vale with just 1 jack. that is about as heavy as I get involved it. And this was all needed because of failure to maintain a section of rain spouting. Imagine that. Everything needs maintenance.

Squibbly

I myself had Dogs all my life. Now I have Cats. I never want to go thru the loss of another furry Child. My best buddy fur baby in the world passed away and I fear of the next one could outlive me. The Dog would not know how to handle that and would think I abandon it. Cats??? Well, they don't really care if you live or die. They are happy and nice but live life on their terms. They also do provide great companionship and don't require a constant babysitter. Happy Holidays. A meme I seen and laughed. So true. Have a Great Day.
Squibbly
I think we need to get working on the back end of that M1009 and get that pintle hook and rear bumper squared away and back in alignment. Lets just say I have been there and left my Son use my M1009. View attachment 852418 View attachment 852419 View attachment 852420 View attachment 852421 No worries it was opportunity knocking. It gave me the opportunity to open up the entire rear bumper and floor area and do some much needed maintenace. View attachment 852422
Ha. Yeah, I've got some straightening to do here and there. Once all this mechanical work is out of the way, I can start doing some body stuff.
You did a great job on that rear bumper.

I hear you on the pets. I had dogs growing up, and my mother couldn't deal with having to put them down when the time came, so she would send me to take them to the vet. I had to put down my 16 year old Chesapeake bay retriever last year. I told my wife this one needs to be the last one.

This one is the smartest I've ever had. She can actually give you yes or no answers for what she wants. She will just look at you as you go through the list of questions "Are you hungry?", "Are you tired?", "Do you want some milk?", "Do you want to go outside?", and when she hears the one she wants she will twirl in a circle and head in the direction of the thing she wants. Pretty amazing dog.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks