• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

!st recovery M101a2

northern

My first recovery went like clock work, Fort McCoy. I read alot of the posts here in the trailer part of the forum. I had all the tools along but all I used was the 3/8 bolt to lock out the brakes, zip tied the Harbor Frieght lights down and checked the wheels and tires and I was off. It pulled just nice all the way home. Thanks to all the SS here.

:driver:

Attachments

Mad Dog 20/20

Why lock out the brakes?
Sometimes the surge brake shock is spent or some other malady exists and the brakes do not work properly. Locking out removes this variable from the equation for a trouble free trip home. Locking out is $2.50 and 2 minutes worth of peace of mind for the trip home. One less thing to worry about.

Once home, you can unlock and test the brakes on an empty piece of road somewhere.

Last edited:
Sometimes the surge brake shock is spent or some other malady exists and the brakes do not work properly. Locking out removes this variable from the equation for a trouble free trip home. Locking out is $2.50 and 2 minutes worth of peace of mind for the trip home.
Once home, you can unlock and test the brakes on an empty piece of road somewhere.
OK theory, but I own some of the green iron and have recovered many of these trailers. I have never needed to lock out the brakes and I was wondering why the OP did it. Some here live on misinformation, like $2.50 and 2 minutes is worth peace of mind, while others would prefer to see trailer brakes used as they should be.

Mad Dog 20/20

OK theory, but I own some of the green iron and have recovered many of these trailers. I have never needed to lock out the brakes and I was wondering why the OP did it. Some here live on misinformation, like $2.50 and 2 minutes is worth peace of mind, while others would prefer to see trailer brakes used as they should be.
Dude, it's just for the ride home w/ an empty and unknown 20+ yo trailer. A simple search will demonstrate for you that many folks have not been as fortunate as you and have had brake malfunction. Or do you think we should ignore that intel and base our actions solely on what YOU have experienced?

It's a good idea to have a lock-out pin/bolt with you for the recovery, even if you don't need it. At $2.50, its better to have and not need, than to need and not have.

Some would rather not get out on the hwy to discover that their recovered trailers brakes are grabby or locking-up, and then have to pull over and install the lock pin/bolt . . . or worse - have to drive many hwy miles home with an unregistered trailer with bad brakes because they lack a $2.50 bolt.

Last edited:
Dude, it's just for the ride home w/ an empty and unknown 20+ yo trailer. A simple search will demonstrate for you that many folks have not been as fortunate as you and have had brake malfunction. Or do you think we should ignore that intel and base our actions solely on what YOU have experienced?

It's a good idea to have a lock-out pin/bolt with you for the recovery, even if you don't need it. At $2.50, its better to have and not need, than to need and not have.
Dude, I just asked him why he used it. Don't give me any simple search crap. And don't argue in the forums.:whistle:

northern

Nice trailer, Nice GMC too!
What are the plans?

Matching silver paint, and wheels?
Matching OD paint and wheels? I needed somthing to haul firewood and was first looking at the M105 but soon found out that I would not be able to stop it when the lights change to yellow.

For real piece of mind you should lock down the pintle with a cotter pin.
You guys do not miss anything. I found the pin in my pocket when I needed a soda.:oops: