• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

starter issues

choll

Just picked up another1009 at Barstow. Needs a little work but not much. Some parts were taken off it and the drivers window was broken while I waited for my EUC. Here's my question everything seems to energize when I turn the key including glow plugs, checked all fuses they appear fine, checked cable to starter its ok, the starter does not turn or even sound like it is doing anything. Anyone have any ideas.

Thanks,
Chuck

ygmir

the first test might be try it in park, then neutral, and, wiggle the selector.
If none of those work, even try holding it on 'start' and moving through the stops from p to l. Be cautious if it does start "in gear", it'll take off.....

As for finding it, I'm not sure........usually either on the steering column or trans where the linkage connects.

I'm just speaking form general automotive knowledge.......not familiar with 1009's....

good luck

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a small silver relay under the dash near the middle. They are a known to go bad. It's something to check.
Might have better luck posting this in the CUCV section.
I'll look for a link. here's one with the relay part number. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index....ewtopic&t=7277&highlight=starter+relay+number
here's another http://www.tpub.com/content/trucks1.25ton/TM-9-2320-289-20/css/TM-9-2320-289-20_254.htm
and one more good one, http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index....&postorder=asc&highlight=starter+relay+number

acetomatoco

Jump the purple wire in the bundle coming out of the firewall into the engine compt. to 24V (yup I changed it to 24V) and see if the starter turns, if so it is probably the relay. Take off some tape by the MC and you will find it. Scrape off a little insulation and run a jumper to the 24 (yup, again) V pickup on your batts. If you are not "handy" do not try this!! I used this method for a while with one of my cucv before I replaced the relay. After you are sure you have the process right, turn on the key, warm the glow plugs jump out and hook up the jumper to start, when running take off the jumper. Make sure the high idle solenoid is working so it doesn't stall. When you have fixed the problem, put some silicone on the bare spot on the purple wire and and retape the bundle so it looks stock again, if ya wanna.

acetomatoco

(Disregard this post and see the next one.)to run the relay? It is not the series hot wire to the starter. Just engages the 2nd relay on the starter drive. But I have been wrong before and will be again. Maybe I ran it to the back of the rear battery, but I am pretty sure it was to the front of that battery where it is only 12V. Guess I will take my own advice and look at the schematics in my -34. ta ta for now.

acetomatoco

So, I was wrong, by golly. (If I were a computer, I could blame it on shortage of 256K of RAM. ) But after consulting the "good book" I find the 1RED 2Z Thermo HZ from the end terminal on the 24V positive terminal board runs to the relay and becomes the 3 PPL6 (SXL) at the output side of the under dash relay to the starter solenoid..so if ya tried it on 12V it would probably just give a feeble little click. Good catch. I guess there is residue of the meds from my surgery yesterday slowing down the search function in my noggin.

choll

I haven't done a thing yet. I was watching my 6 month old daughter today. Hopefully I will get a chance to look at it tomorrow if not it will have to wait until the 20th as I am going out of the country on business.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks