• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter Question

LT67

Is the bendix on a 24v starter different than on a 12v starter? My 24v starter has been completely rebuilt and within 6mos it needs bendix #3..... what the🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

cucvrus

Of course it is. The 24 volt starter is lighter weight than the 12 volt starter. The out housing of a 12 volt can be converted and vice versa 24 volt to 12 volt. Good Luck. https://www.leidyrepair.com/
This guy has been rebuilding my CUCV components and everything electrical for me the past 25 years. He also does Fort Indiantown Gap starters and alternators. I recommend. Happy New Year.

LT67

Of course it is. The 24 volt starter is lighter weight than the 12 volt starter. The out housing of a 12 volt can be converted and vice versa 24 volt to 12 volt. Good Luck. https://www.leidyrepair.com/
This guy has been rebuilding my CUCV components and everything electrical for me the past 25 years. He also does Fort Indiantown Gap starters and alternators. I recommend. Happy New Year.
Thank you

LT67

My 27MT has the correct bendix in it along with the correct solenoid... and for whatever reason it has a healthy appetite for any bendix that goes in there. At this point I'm tired of messing with it. After talking to the shop they ordered a 28MT starter for me. Idk the brand name, but it is new and they've used these without any issues. I just want my truck to start without any issues with a starter..

Keith_J

Make sure you have the right bracket..Hillbilly Wizard has them. Even though the 28MT is lighter, the bolts still will break if omitted because the pinion dynamic forces put a bending load on the bolts.

Remember, three points define a plane, two points a line.

cucvrus

You can cut and drill the 27 MT support bracket to fit the 28 MT starter. All you need to do is mount the bracket up on the block loosely and pivot it back and forth to scribe a mark where the starter stud will make contact. Then remove the bracket cut it to length and drill a 1/4" hole. And the bracket will be stronger by design than the stock 28 MT bracket. I had 27MT brakets made and use them for both starters by cutting them if needed. Good Luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks