• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter relay modification

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've just learned of this modification and wondering if mine looks right. Thanks.
Yup...2 big wires with the 2 little ones. Just a point. Those melt as well if you're batteries are low in charge. Amps go up when volts drop and welding occurs. My 1009 had that with old batteries and I had to snap the wire off the 24 volt side to get the starter to stop. I put good batteries in since though. Keep a pair of snips in the cab so if it does stick on you can just cut one of the fat wires on that relay. It can weld the relay on the starter too which means you're taking off a battery cable to stop the starter.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

walkerbzz11

Yup...2 big wires with the 2 little ones. Just a point. Those melt as well if you're batteries are low in charge. Amps go up when volts drop and welding occurs. My 1009 had that with old batteries and I had to snap the wire off the 24 volt side to get the starter to stop. I put good batteries in since though. Keep a pair of snips in the cab so if it does stick on you can just cut one of the fat wires on that relay. It can weld the relay on the starter too which means you're taking off a battery cable to stop the starter.

Hmmm... They never mentioned that. I understood this was a sure way to fix the issue. Looks like it creates another possibly. This is what they call a dog head mod right?

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmmm... They never mentioned that. I understood this was a sure way to fix the issue. Looks like it creates another possibly. This is what they call a dog head mod right?
Yes it is and it does work and gives you a larger contact surface...but it can still weld...18 etc volts vs 24-29 volts is a massive jump in amps. The fix is keep your batteries charged...I run stock relay on all mine but also run the 6tm battery with a solar maintainer on the hood. I don't crank for a long time and keep the glow plug system working so it starts fast.

walkerbzz11

Yes it is and it does work and gives you a larger contact surface...but it can still weld...18 etc volts vs 24-29 volts is a massive jump in amps. The fix is keep your batteries charged...I run stock relay on all mine but also run the 6tm battery with a solar maintainer on the hood. I don't crank for a long time and keep the glow plug system working so it starts fast.

So this can happen when not used for a while? Will it help to leave the negative terminal off if I'm not gonna run it for a while?

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So this can happen when not used for a while? Will it help to leave the negative terminal off if I'm not gonna run it for a while?
In theory there shouldn't be draw on the batteries when parked...black out switch off...but there are times when the alternator likes to do crazy stuff and pull a small draw and take out the batteries over a short period of time. You can pull the cables off but lead acid batteries discharge naturally over time even not hooked up. If you're near an outlet a basic Noco 24 volt maintainer would work perfect or the solar type that I've got. Plug ins are cheaper. Only need a few amps to keep them topped off...5 max each with a noco.

walkerbzz11

In theory there shouldn't be draw on the batteries when parked...black out switch off...but there are times when the alternator likes to do crazy stuff and pull a small draw and take out the batteries over a short period of time. You can pull the cables off but lead acid batteries discharge naturally over time even not hooked up. If you're near an outlet a basic Noco 24 volt maintainer would work perfect or the solar type that I've got. Plug ins are cheaper. Only need a few amps to keep them topped off...5 max each with a noco.

I'm in the habit of removing the negative when I leave it because I suspected something drawing some power over time. What solar type do you have?

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm in the habit of removing the negative when I leave it because I suspected something drawing some power over time. What solar type do you have?
I use the basic military surplus one. I get them on eBay. They do just enough. Look for a battery cable end that unbolts but not from the battery if you can. Saves the battery terminals. Group 31s work fine BTW. Unhooking is absolutely ok.

walkerbzz11

I use the basic military surplus one. I get them on eBay. They do just enough. Look for a battery cable end that unbolts but not from the battery if you can. Saves the battery terminals. Group 31s work fine BTW. Unhooking is absolutely ok.

Ok. Thanks man. I'm about to start this thing up after this dog head mod. 🙏🙏🙏

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks