• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starting problems 1991 Humvee

Kenneth Cole

Hi
When the engine is cold the solenoid will disengage after one or two turns. Once she is warmed up from either the block heater or from been driven she will start right away .
My thought is that the starter solenoid is the problem.
I hope that this is making sense .

Ken

Dieselmeister

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could be low voltage. Check the voltage at the solenoid when this happens. It could be a weak battery or bad connection. When cold starting, and the glowplugs re-energize while cranking, the voltage could go low enough to drop out the solenoid. Do some more testing before replacing anything. Starters are expensive.

Kenneth Cole

Could be low voltage. Check the voltage at the solenoid when this happens. It could be a weak battery or bad connection. When cold starting, and the glowplugs re-energize while cranking, the voltage could go low enough to drop out the solenoid. Do some more testing before replacing anything. Starters are expensive.

Sir
Thanks for the info. It makes sense. As soon as the weather (snow) gets better I will check it out.
Ken

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agree w checking all wiring connections and battery state of charge. Could be something simple (not that new batteries are cheap, but you get the idea). Also, not everyone knows that the post the positive lead off the forward battery goes to has a corresponding post on the other side, meaning that wire has to be tight too, even if the post inside the battery box is super tight. It could be loose on the other side. Doesn't sound like your issue, but I like to share that nugget whenever potential low voltage is mentioned and batteries come up.
You'll get it!
Bulldogger

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks