• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

starting to look for a M416

mikes47jeep

starting to look for a M416 (or any "jeep" trailer)

hi guys,

im starting to look for a M416, i just want to test the waters to see what i can expect to pay

the closer to north east PA the better

thanks

Mike

Last edited:

boomer

Hi Mike,
The ones I have seen lately, being sold by individuals, are going for $4-500.00. It's good you are just looking, for now. If a good one comes up sooner, I would get it. The main thing you should check is the tub. The fenders can easily be changed- if damaged. Good Luck, Boomer

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have seen $200 for a rusted out beater, up to $1200 for a perfectly restored example. Average good used trailers in the $500 range.

ida34

I traded a rusty M105 with racks for a rather unmolested M416. The trailer cord connector had been chopped off with a 4 pin trailer connector attached to it. Pretty easy fix. The bottom has rust depressions but not holes. I traded the trailer plus $200 on my end. I think I took the other guy but as long as both of us are happy then everything is good. He was figuring his trailer was worth $600 and mine was worth $400.

mikes47jeep

right now i cant really afford one, untill i find job

I kind of get a kick out of getting a "piece of junk" and bringing it back to life,

unless it's totaly destroyed (run over by tank condition) it can be rebuilt

I also don’t have a problem with basket cases, or just a chassis, where I need to find a tub somewhere else

Most of my projects have been like that Johnny cash song "one piece at a time"

i wouldent mind any "jeep trailer" such as a M416, M100, or a bantam

I’m not too picky

Mike

Last edited:

ida34

The one thing to consider is the tub does not come off. It is welded to the frame so changing is difficult at best.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you sure, Chuck? I had a 1964 M416 trailer, that I completely tore down to every last nut and bolt in 1998, and the frame unbolted from the body tub, I sent it to the sandblasters in two pieces, and bolted it back together.

Lex_Ordo

right now i cant really afford one, untill i find job

I kind of get a kick out of getting a "piece of junk" and bringing it back to life,

unless it's totaly destroyed (run over by tank condition) it can be rebuilt

I also don’t have a problem with basket cases, or just a chassis, where I need to find a tub somewhere else

Most of my projects have been like that Johnny cash song "one piece at a time"

i wouldent mind any "jeep trailer" such as a M416, M100, or a bantam

I’m not too picky

Mike
You might consider then a Canadian 1/4 Ton trailer. I have the M101 CDN2; It is a 1992 built version of the M416, with many added improvements.
The M101, is in fact a Unibody design where the tub and chasis are one. The M416 was a bolted on body to a chasis. The only bolted pieces on the M101 are the A-Frame tongue, and the suspension.

I don't remember the contract end for the M416, but I believe it was around 1968, so you can get an idea of what conditoin some of the trailers can be found in.

Improvements on the M101, are 3/16" steel re-inforced waste, and corners. Smaller drain holes in each of the four corners(No bulit in Plugs). Recessed cargo tie-downs in the tub. And heavy duty bar-stock grab irons on the front and rear of the tub.

Most of the contract were not put into service and because of this, are in excellent to near new condition. They have however been stored outside since being built so there will be some degree of surface rust. Also, the assembly of the tub were tack welds spaced apart and the gaps filled with caulk. If the caulk has dried out which it will in most cases, there may be some need to replace metal, and re-caulk.

They're around and when i was looking for my 1/4 ton trailer, two years ago, found more of the M101's than the M416's.

Good Luck.

nkawtg

A buddy of mine just sold one in very good condition (no rust, faded paint, tires unknown condition) for $450. He inhereted it and just wanted to get rid of it, I felt he could have done better.......

mdog

I just got a 416 today that I had been trying to buy from a neighbor for almost a year. It was complete and solid but had a rusty floor due to being in the rain. It just needs paint on the floor. I offered $600 but he never would sell even though it had sat in a scrap pile for 10 years. I bought a M101 at FT Bragg for $350 that had new tires I needed. I swapped the new tires for 50 year old tires and traded the m101 plus $200 for the M416. I figure I had nothing in the 101 because of the tire swap and got the 416 for $200. The neighbor thought he got the best side of the deal and I thought I got the best deal. Everybody happy.

LanceRobson

I have a line on an M416, but I won't know for a week or so if it's a "done deal" It seems solid, has surface rust, a dry rotted wiring harness and the casting that hold the landing leg was broken at the top of the leg, but is with the trailer. I think it's a '68.

I'm about 25 miles SW of Syracuse. I could store it until either you come this way or we go that way with an empty pintle.

If your interested, throw me a PM and I'll keep you informed.

Lance