• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starts but wont stay running

bigredlab

I live in Los Angeles and my 86 M1009 is having problems.

Here is what it is doing:
- The wait light comes on and turns off like it should (you hear the electric 'clunk').
- The engine cranks (plenty of charge indicated) just fine.
- About 1/4 tank of fuel.
- The engine 'started' (big plume of smoke) a couple of times but won't stay running.
- Outside Temp this morning: 58deg F

Within the last 6 months:
- New glow plugs
- New fuel injector pump
- New voltage regulator
- New Batteries

Any Ideas what could be wrong?

mangus580

I dont think its a timing issue.

If it actually starts, runs for more than a couple 'sputters'.... its an air leak problem (or maybe bad fuel pump)

If it just sputters, stubmles but never 'actually' runs... its most likely a glow plug problem.

bigredlab

I would try to start it for a couple of turns with no luck. Then Vroooommm! (big cloud of smoke) and it stopped again. Never really got going.

bigredlab

CCATLETT1984 said:
it could be the fuel lift pump on the side of the block, there is a check ball that is supposed to stop fuel from running back to the tank, but it sometimes fails.
Any way to test for that/correct it?

CCATLETT1984

to test for the check ball, get a buddy to open the bleeder on the top of the fuel filter as soon as you start cranking, you should have fuel immediately, if you dont you have air in the line and odds are the fuel pump is the issue. not an expensive part, but somewhat of a pain to get to.

bigredlab

In the warmth of the afternoon, it was a little difficult to start, but it started. Drove it down and filled up with diesel fuel. Ran fine.

Now the wait light (and associated sounds) isn't working (again). Darn Gremlins just keep jumping around.

mangus580

You have a glow plug system problem :)

time to figure out where the problem exists. If you arent hearing hte solenoid (clunk), as well as the light isnt working, I would suspect the controller.

Find the blue wire on the solenoid. Using a jumper, connect that terminal to ground. see if it activates the solenoid. If so, you have a controller problem. If not, you have other issues, and we need to look further (btw, key must be on I believe)

bigredlab

mangus580 said:
You have a glow plug system problem :)

time to figure out where the problem exists. If you arent hearing hte solenoid (clunk), as well as the light isnt working, I would suspect the controller.

Find the blue wire on the solenoid. Using a jumper, connect that terminal to ground. see if it activates the solenoid. If so, you have a controller problem. If not, you have other issues, and we need to look further (btw, key must be on I believe)
I agree.

When I turn on the car now, no solenoid clunk. It is a civvy converted model (yeah, I know :roll: ) and I just replaced the controller. So its back under the hood with my lil' multimeter.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks