• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Static Exciter for tge mep005a generator

Gordy1ID

Hi there. Does anyone repair the circuitry the static Exciter box? I believe i have it narrowed down to this box. Would anybody happen to have a used one? The part number is 30554 72 2605. Mep005a
thankyou!
Gordy

Attachments

Guyfang

Staff member
Hi there. Does anyone repair the circuitry the static Exciter box? I believe i have it narrowed down to this box. Would anybody happen to have a used one? The part number is 30554 72 2605. Mep005a
thankyou!
Gordy
The part number is 72-2605. 30554 is the cage code. I will ask someone if they have one and PM you the answer.

Whats wrong with yours? Symptoms? Burnt components on the volt reg card? Burnt T1 Transformer?

Gordy1ID

The part number is 72-2605. 30554 is the cage code. I will ask someone if they have one and PM you the answer.

Whats wrong with yours? Symptoms? Burnt components on the volt reg card? Burnt T1 Transformer?
I have to excite the static field

Whenever its started

Gordy1ID

I have to excite the static field

Whenever its started

Hi there thanks for your response. After I start the generator there is no voltage until I excite the field with a battery. Everything looks good in the voltage regulator and static Exciter. When I start the unit I don't get any voltage out of the static Exciter on pin A + B. On the Canon connector J9. Any help is appreciated thank you Gordy

Guyfang

Staff member
Your exciter voltage comes from the S9-1 contacts. Unscrew J9/P9 C-Plug from the A11, (static excitor. Have someone start the set, and hold the start switch up. You mesure from ground to pin D on P9, to see if you are getting DC voltage from the S9-1. No voltage? Bad S9.

Gordy1ID

Thank you again for your reply. I removed the J 9 Cannon plug and tested the D pin (bottom pin) to the frame of the generator while somebody started the generator and held it in the start position. I did not get any DC voltage.
Just to be clear I wasn't sure if I should test the wire harness side or the static Exciter side. So I tested both sides.
So that being said believe you said my problem is with the S9 - 1.?
If you could be so kind to direct me to what an S9 is that would be awesome LOL
Thank you a ton. Gordy

Gordy1ID

Thank you again for your reply. I removed the J 9 Cannon plug and tested the D pin (bottom pin) to the frame of the generator while somebody started the generator and held it in the start position. I did not get any DC voltage.
Just to be clear I wasn't sure if I should test the wire harness side or the static Exciter side. So I tested both sides.
So that being said believe you said my problem is with the S9 - 1.?
If you could be so kind to direct me to what an S9 is that would be awesome LOL
Thank you a ton. Gordy
I found my problem. I replaced the speed switch i think. Left front of generator, seats in the side of the block with a Cannon plug on the top. The plunger/ cam piece on the inside was broke.
I have a parts unit on-site
So now the generator starts up and delivers power immediately like it should.

Unfortunately my Hertz gauge quit working prior to me changing that speed switch. It was working months ago but I noticed it was not working early today.

Any ideas guru? I owe you dinner at the least. Thanks again!

Guyfang

Staff member
I found my problem. I replaced the speed switch i think. Left front of generator, seats in the side of the block with a Cannon plug on the top. The plunger/ cam piece on the inside was broke.
I have a parts unit on-site
So now the generator starts up and delivers power immediately like it should.

Unfortunately my Hertz gauge quit working prior to me changing that speed switch. It was working months ago but I noticed it was not working early today.

Any ideas guru? I owe you dinner at the least. Thanks again!
Its a common problem. The S9, (speed switch) is something that is always overlooked. The S9-1 contacts are an opener/closer contacts. The opener set is for the starter lock out. At the right RPM, they open to cut the starter out. The closer contacts are for the A11, (exciter) the initial excitation.

Tip, to you and anyone else reading this thread. Anytime a 004, 005 or 006 gen set will not start, (the starter will NOT engage) the first place to look is the S9 switch. Easy way to test., is to take off J37/P37 C-plug, and put a paper clip in pins A&B. If the set turns over, bad S9.

You could have tested the S9-1 portion of the excitation at the J37/P37 plug also. BUT, when checking there, (using a few jumpers) there is always the remote possibility that you could start the set, and the over speed function is not going to do its job. A one in 200 billion chance. But have seen it happen once. was not pretty.

Your S9 is a mechanical one?

The freq meter is driven by the A2, freq Converter, in the control panel. It takes a 120 VAC signal to one side of it, (input) and spits out a DC signal that goes to the meter. The A2 and meter are supposed to be a "matched" set. The troubleshooting guide for "Freq meter will not read" is to change both out. First check that you have AC voltage going in to the A2. Then, bang on the meter face a bit. Then take a meter out of your parts machine and change the old one out. If you still do not get anything, take the A2 out. run two wires from the A2, (keep in mind, this is a DC signal, so hook + to plus and - to -) to the meter. Then hook an old plug and cable to the AC side. Plug it into the wall. The meter should read approx. 60 hertz. If not, you need a new A2. Maybe from your parts machine?

To buy dinner, you would need to fly about 4,500 miles. Its better to say, "I would rather owe you, then beat you out of it". But if you ever make it here, I got the beer!

Last edited:

Gordy1ID

For heaven's sakes you're a lifesaver. My family was originally from Germany. Last name is Zemke. I believe the last couple letters may have been played with when they got off the boat to America.
Let me give you a very big thank you bud. We all appreciate what you donate. You guys have Home Depot's out there? Gift card?

Jimmie Morgan

Your exciter voltage comes from the S9-1 contacts. Unscrew J9/P9 C-Plug from the A11, (static excitor. Have someone start the set, and hold the start switch up. You mesure from ground to pin D on P9, to see if you are getting DC voltage from the S9-1. No voltage? Bad S9.
Can you tell me the NSN Part # for the A1 & A11 ??? I have some #'s Just want to double check MEP 005A # 1723 !!!

Guyfang

Staff member
A1
NSN: 6625-00-003-0973 OLD
NSN: 6625-00-114-0859 OLD
NSN: 6625-01-180-7579 NEW
Part numbers:
21820A

A11
NSN: 6115-00-363-3956
Part Numbers
72-2601
30554-72-2601

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks