• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

steering box woes

FreightTrain

Banned
What issue of MVM was the steering box removal in and is it or any other how to on the internet?I found out why I have 1/3rd of a turn of play.I turned the wheel while watching the pitman and saw teh shaft both moving up and down some and in and out at the same time.Just great.....more projects.....I want to either replace this box with a good take our and rebuild mine or rebuild a core and replace mine then rebuild it for a spare.Either way,I am gonna replace the box but don't want to pull the engine/IP out if I can help it....

FreightTrain

Banned
Thanks.Anyone know where I can get a back issue?Ebay turned up nothing,the guy that is listed on the MVM site doesn't have any(think he only listed 58 and below).

ah1955

Freight Train my magazine is right next to my desk so just had to reach over and there was issue #116.
Found the article you are looking for, a 3 page article that will walk you through R&R of steering gear box with out removing and unhooking all that needs to done to push the engine to the right like the manual outlines.
At the end of the article special thanks was given to Steel Soldiers members Marksgarage2 and CaptainRPM.
Other them copy rights or something like that maybe this could be down loaded to a TA.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rebuilding steering is pretty much common sense. The only problem is getting out the 2 back bolts-very tight. When they go back in cut off bolts about 3/16 inch and it makes it much easier. All the manuals/articles are very bad showing the upper column. Just be very observant when taking apart. Order the lower gasket and upper bearing "kit", you may have to loosen the mount bolts through the frame but once you start it will become clear. Also, keep the wheels straight and note the position of the wheel before pulling the shaft back. :wink:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks