• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering Column Assembly

Potomac Valley Organics

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi all...

We're replacing the steering shaft column (PFFZZ 86403 3497974 per Technical Manual)on our 1977 M880.

I want to expose the splines on the steering gear column shaft to put a universal part on it. There appears to be a pin that holds the universal joint housing onto the shaft. Anyone know I could take it out?

Here's a pic:

Thanks

Potomac Valley Organics

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got it...tapped it out with an awl.

In case anyone's curious, the NPS installed a powersteering system on this truck, the gearbox of which had a busted seal. So I got a new gearbox (didn't want to get into gearbox seal repair), the splines of which don't quite fix the splines on the open flex joint. Summit Racing is sending me a universal replacement shaft which, I hope and am told, will connect directly from the gearbox to the sterring column shaft.

Here's a picture of the part. I will of course save the original parts if it works. Thanks for the quick replies.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks