• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering column lower bearing install?

erasedhammer

Took my steering column out for my manual pedal install, and as I was pulling the column further out, the lower bearing popped off and now I am having trouble getting it back on.
Any tips to push this bearing back on?
IMG_20200623_180642.jpg
IMG_20200623_180636.jpg
IMG_20200623_180655.jpg

sneekyeye

On page 8-11 in the -34 TM it goes into the steps it needs to go back on. It mentions a bearing retainer, indexing the slots and a retaining clip. Ive never had mine apart so I really cant give you and firsthand knowledge or tips, but check that page and it might help. The TM section has them for download in PDF format if you do not have them already.
column maintenance.png

erasedhammer

Unfortunately the TM does not show
On page 8-11 in the -34 TM it goes into the steps it needs to go back on. It mentions a bearing retainer, indexing the slots and a retaining clip. Ive never had mine apart so I really cant give you and firsthand knowledge or tips, but check that page and it might help. The TM section has them for download in PDF format if you do not have them already.
View attachment 804150
Unfortunately the TM does not show how to get the lower shaft back on. And now the bearing is seated too far up and I have no way of pulling it back down.
15930131800874520002854198731686.jpg

cucvrus

OH the beating that column bushing took. I am sad to see hammer and chisel marks on any steering column. If it were me I would remove the column and figure out a way to get that bearing back in with a deep socket. Do it on a work bench where you have some access and can control the installation. Good Luck. It can be done. I took a column down to bare bones and reassembled it just for fun and experience.

erasedhammer

OH the beating that column bushing took. I am sad to see hammer and chisel marks on any steering column. If it were me I would remove the column and figure out a way to get that bearing back in with a deep socket. Do it on a work bench where you have some access and can control the installation. Good Luck. It can be done. I took a column down to bare bones and reassembled it just for fun and experience.
Took the steering column in and out probably 5 times. Couldnt really find any good instructions on reassembling it, so trial and error. Finally figured out, bolt the lower shaft to the steering box, then the upper dash bolts, then the firewall clamp. All that after pulling it out and assembling the entire thing out of the truck.
I just thought I could do it all in the truck, but no way was that happening.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks